Re: Storefront Hitchcock

>I was recently introduced to the fabulous music of Robyn Hitchcock.  Anybody
here
>familiar with his stuff?

He's really terrific, great little pop song gems.  I picked up on him
several years back with 'Perspex Island', and have been following
along since.  As much as I do like him, it's hard to recommend
anything of his to someone unfamiliar.  The music is different enough
and edgy enough that many seem to be polarized on whether they
like him or not.  It's just one of those things you have to experience
on your own terms.
I tend to favor his later work from 'Perspex' and on.  'Moss Elixir' and it's
companion EP, 'Mossy Liquor' are very good, as is 'Storefront'.  Rhino
Records recently released (whew! abuncha rrrr's!) several of his earlier
works of which I can't remember any titles, but the few I've picked up have
been money well spent.

>I'm curious about "Storefront Hitchcock".  The CD says "Music From the Jonathan
>Demme Motion Picture", and from the snippets of chat between songs, I get the
>impression that it's kind of "Rattle & Hum" type thing.  Has anyone seen or
heard
>of this movie?

Yeah, it's basicly a performance piece.  New York, LA and maybe Chicago have
seen it, but unless a tape happens to fall into a box destined for delivery to
your
nearest mega-video rental center, (Block(wallet)buster for eg.), deeper parts of
the US may have a hard time seeing it.  If you're lucky enough to have a turn-
table, the LP has 5 or 6 additional songs the cd didn't have room for.

>Now Reading: "The Naked Sun" by Isaac Asimov
excellent!  I've only read the original 2 "robot" books, but I've got this one
on the shelf with an autographed cover by Michael Whelan.  I read the
"Foundation trilogy" back in Jr. High and it warped my mind for ever.  I'll
always be grateful to 'Uncle Isaac' for that.    :-)

regretting the fact that I don't read as much SF as I used to,
AaronB

np:  Kelly Willis - what I deserve