@ Various 2/99

So is anything happening with that Over the Rhine band?  Anyone know any
info?

* "...emotionless and cold as ice; all of the things I like" '97

Mr. Davis (hellomynameisj at yahoo_com), is your name really Slim Shady?  I
was trying to figure out if you had that e-mail address before the song
was out or not.  To wit: "rap city" and "the box" and references to
m&m's.  Hmm.  Dinner time or not, I agree with your fiancee -- you have
to go.  hahaha.  Seriously though, no Duran cracks in the future,
comprende?  It's like critisizing advanced calculus: ya may not
understand it, but it's good for you.  Humans tend to fear what we don't
understand.  Start with "Liberty".  Move to the '81 eponymous one.  Type
a three page doublespaced report.  Take two capsules and call me (the
morning after).  Jeez, that paragraph certainly alienated me.

Marq, thanks for pointing it out.  You get an honorary "Duran Defender"
lapel pin when we meet.  Strangely enough, I (and probably Yz) have
heard D2 slaughter HLtWolf way worse than Puffy could ever hope to.

* "the whole world is getting used, it's just the way it is" '90

Re: Vernal Equinox (20 Mar) + 21 Mar Canal Street urban myth:  This
would indeed be kick ass.  I'll gladly fraternize with any of ya there,
but I'm at a selfish enough stage in life to ditch dead weight at the
drop of a hat for a chance to sit one pew closer to Karin.  I'd suspect
we'll be getting a note from the band soon via e-mail regarding upcoming
events.

Ya know, I never got Northern Spy #3.  I'm beginning to think it was
directed at me.  I've been thinking that for #4 I should just pin down
the members of OtR and have a Q&A session and then have Linford's art
team (Mr. Brock + Zender) transcribe it onto fun paper with a few
woodcuts and close the door on our extended year-long membership.

* "Emotion's a game, saved up for a rainy Monday.
   But you laugh just the same, 'cos it's been pouring on Sunday." '86

I'm ready for spring.  Hands up!  Who's ready for the Society of
Automotive Engineers International Congress at Cobo Hall this week?!
Catch me there Tuesday and Wednesday from 2PM-6PM harking automotive
rubber-to-metal vibration isolation wares.  I'm like a spokesmodel, with
twice the brain and body mass.  And triple the charm.

* "once I thought that I was in control
   but that was just another trick of fate
   playing with my life"  '90

Well, I was finally approved for a stinkin' home loan months after I
applied.  My appalling credit and penchant for not staying in any one
place for the last three months made it challenging to say the least.
Move in date sometime in May now.  A no-furniture party expected the
first weekend after I get keys.  Stay tuned for details.

* "The world spins so fast, I might fly off
   Waiting for the sound of thunder"  '81

Those damn remove people.  Where are they all coming from?  It's like a
herd of them trampled in just to be annoying.  My new theory is that if
an American citizen whines more than once to be removed from the list,
he or she should automatically be shipped off to Kosovo to military
service.  Assuming he/she makes it back, it'd be funny to see all the
messages piled up in his/her inbox.  hahaha.

* "Way down the lane away, living for another day
   The aphids swarm up in the drifting haze"  '82

Welp, I'm off to drive up North.  I think I'm gonna meet that k-razy
Harnish character and go see a band I know nothing about.  He nearly
succeeded in tricking me to see something he touted as "drums as big as
cars!" called "Koto" or something.  It was in Ann Arbor last week but
Marriott's deep blue swimming pool beckoned.  As far as the Anne E.
thing goes, have fun.  I did my time with her already and wasn't
convinced!  Plus, I'm sick of driving.  I'll see some of y'all at Canal
Street hopefully.  We should just plan to be there 20 March Otr or no
Otr, like a random "lostie" gathering (nice one, Jess!).

* "I spy you all tiny creatures on the ground below
    For my being reckless got me strung up in the sky
   Love is flawed now, see the lawless cry"  -93

For what it's worth Dr. bink, I give you an "A" on your submission to
the list "six degrees of Velvets (was: Every 80's song...)"
(http://www.actwin.com/OtR/month.9902/msg00390.html) for those of you at
home.

Sr. Smith, err., I mean Sr. Taxi, I think I speak for dozens of OtR
listees when I say we want to read "Snack Habits at the Kentucky
Theatre."

Aargh!  Since I'm catching up on this insanity, I saw that tonight is
the Cowboy Junkie thing on liveconcerts.com; I also realized I missed
Jude (GREAT album "No One is Really Beautiful") and Better than Ezra
this week.

Mr. Fox, I subscribe to nothing else.  I swoop down at times to read
Crowded House, Duran, Live and REM things but that's about it.  No real
participation.  And if I find a band of the day that I need info about,
I'll post questions.

Ms. Conrad, no Mary's Waltz stuff yet.  Once I get settled, I can help
Scott U and work on getting all the tabs to all the songs (just OtR and
Monk maybe; for tabs to all the songs in the world is too daunting).

Mr. Taxi again, and all: anyone know much about Lilac Time?  It's a brit
late 80s band started by original Duran vocalist Stephen Duffy.  I
finally got "& Love for All" last week (some tracks produced by Andy
Partridge, how about them 6 degrees?) and it's quite good.  Unique pop.

Bruce