Re: Topical Drift

Tndreamgal at aol_com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/25/99 2:32:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> Ron.Brickley at sdrc_com writes:
>
> << I'm on a Liz Phair digest and a 10K Maniacs digest.
>  The maniacs digest comes about once a month. >>
> Hey, are the 10000 maniacs good? Ive only heard like one of their songs, but I
> liked it a lot. . . . what do you recommend by them? This question is opened
> to any fans
>
> Debbie DeGeorge

The 10K Maniacs have been around for quite awhile, since around
1981 or so.  Their driving force IMO Natalie Merchant left the band
in 1992 and the rest of the group took ALOT of time off before
grabbing a new lead singer (Mary Ramsey) and regaining a
former member (John Lombardo).  They released a cd _Love Among
the Ruins that some ppl like and some ppl hate.  Most of the
ppl that hate it are disappointed because the lyrics and even the music
has changed like to the extreme.
I personally didn't like it either.  I haven't spun it in around 3 or 4 months.
So I guess it depends on what song you heard.
I would, however, recommend any of their stuff pre-Nat leaving.
My favorite is _Our Time In Eden and this one probably has a majority of
their popular released hits on it since they really hit after this was
released.
My least favorite is Blind Man's Zoo.
Hope Chest is crazy cool.
Wishing Chair is nostalgic.
Blind Man's Zoo is political.
In My Tribe is soft political.
Our Time In Eden is delicious.

The Unplugged album is good too.
Not because it's good, but because it's all good.

They used to be my favorite band, but those things change.

hth,

Ron