Re: Gloomy Sunday (was Every 80's song in one story! (no OtR))

Ysobelle at aol_com sez:

> Not only is the pgh-Goth list discussing if anything can really be original
> in
>  music and life (and we've gotten into quantum mechanics now, which is a
>  problem when a chunk of the list is from the CMU sciences departments), we
>  have the second reference for the day:
>
>  >don't hate me because i bought a Billie Holliday CD today for only one
song
>  >
>  >(Gloomy Sunday)!
>  >

>  I bought Sarah MacLachlan's B-Sides CD today, and it has "Gloomy Sunday" on
>  it. I could not, for the life of me, remember where I'd heard of this song
>  before. Thoroughly enjoyed the CD, though.

        "Death is no dream for in death I'm caressing you
        With the last breath of my soul I'll be blessing you"
                Gloomy Sunday

*from a couple articles regarding this song:*
"This "Song" was composed in real life in Budapest in 1935 and became
internationally known as the "hymn of suicides" because hundreds, above all
young people, bade farewell to this life with this melody on the turntable.

David C. Barnett, of member station WCPN, reports on a play about the composer
of the song "Gloomy Sunday." The Depression-era song was supposedly
responsible for the suicide of hundreds of Hungarians.

...funny how this song keeps popping up!   :D   one of the most passionate
songs written. ever.

>  Kept me going through my life
>  drawing class wherein the model, nicely built though he was, kept moving
>  ever...so...slightly.
>
>  Just thought I'd share.

urmm, ok Yz - thanks for sharing. and, uhh, *what* was "moving
ever...so...slightly" here? zheesh, Yzi!

jay

NP: _Cervix Couch.MP3_

The pleasure that is in sorrow is sweeter than the pleasure of pleasure
itself.
Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)
<{---o<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>--o---}>
	^v^	^v^	^v^	ICQ #13819982	^v^	^v^	^v^