Re: Pop Band, Three Letters, Not OTR...

> once upon a time, i had __Skylarking_ and i really liked it.

Oh, me too.  Me *three*, if I might be so bold.  "1000 Umbrellas" alone is
enough to cement that album to a best-of-all-time monument I might someday
erect.

> Then one day i ran out of macaroni and cheese and had to sell some stuff to
> buy more.
> So, i decided to sell my __skylarking__ cd back to the used cd store.

I decided to sell *Skylarking* after a long and agonizing wrestle with my
own conscience.  *Oranges & Lemons* and the next one too, but *Skylarking*
was the quintissential problem.  Why would I continue to keep an album with
"Dear God" on it?  I made a tape of the album before I sold it, replacing
"Dear God" with "Mermaid Smiled," the track that originally existed there
before "Dear God" started hitting the radio stations off the b-side of the
"Grass" single.

> soonafter, i really missed it.

I did too.

> eventually i had to buy it again.
> could i find it used?   no  (it's too good).  so i  had to pay full price
> twice,  and got 5 or 6 bucks for it.  __skylarking__ therefore cost about
> $19 or 20 bucks.

I eventually had to buy it again, too, but I planned to all along.  I
bought it on vinyl-- one of the first printings, before "Dear God" was
added.  There's "Mermaid Smiled," printed right on the back of the sleeve.
One day I'll have a working turntable-- and I'll hear the album as it was
originally intended.

I'm still looking for a CD copy of the same.  I have a feeling it's a lot
rarer.

That's *my* little *skylarking* story,

jnf

NP: the Rushmore soundtrack - Mark Mothersbaugh and a load of brits