Re: Preferences

john davis <hellomynameisj at yahoo_com> sez:

>---Chris Emery <cemery at columbus_rr.com> wrote:
>> > i think that genesis, yes, and kc are all filled with
>> >talented musicians, but i get weary of the epiclike compositions.
>>
>> Explain.  Weary?   You don't have the attention span to devote to listening?
>
>no, it's not that- it's more of an emotional thing. i get *tired* in
>my emotions when in a way that i don't when i hear jazz. like miles
>davis, though he wrote loooong songs, doesn't wear on me like prog
>rock does. i really like yes songs that are shorter, whihc is part of
>why i dig "big generator" and "90125"- the solos in some of the longer
>albums just don't speak to me, i guess.

Strange.   I love Miles' longer stuff, especially stuff like _Bitches Brew_
and _In A Silent Way_.   Good long prog songs don't wear on me emotionally,
though.   In a longer song, you can build up to a variety of emotions,
compared to a shorter pop-type song which typically only has time for one
specific feeling.

Perfect example of a song that makes me feel wonderful emotionally: Yes 'The
Revealing Science Of God', and it clocks in at 21:00 minutes.

>my mom was really into yes, and she has a lot of the old records on
>vinyl. she was into kansas and jethro tull too. so i grew up on that
>stuff. but it never really took, i guess.

Poor boy.   You'll come around one of these days.   (obFloyd)
--
NP: Genesis - _We Can't Dance_
ICQ: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery

Follow-Ups: References: