Re: Introduction

>Dancing on a volcano, john davis <hellomynameisj at yahoo_com> said:
>>---frillln at wku_edu wrote:
>>> Favorite Books:
>>> Contact, Carl Sagan: much better than the movie; Wuthering Heights,
>>> Emily Bronte: guilt, sin and revenge (all the good stuff); Stranger in
>>> a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein; A Room with A View, E.M. Forster:
>>> also much better then the movies;  that about does it...
>>
>>books usually *are* better than the movie. Forster espoecailly- he's
>>so psychological.
>
>I've yet to see a movie that surpassed the book.   Ever.

Try 'A Simple Plan'.  I saw the film when it first opened and
was so impressed, I immediately ran out to buy the book ( author:
Scott Smith).  The film and the book run closely together until
about halfway through either.  The book is much colder and gets
somewhat un-plausable torwards the end.  The film develops the
characters much better than the book and makes them seem
more human.  I suggest the film regardless of whether it's better
than the book or not.  It's quite deserving of the 2 Oscar nods it
recieved and should win both (best adapted screenplay - Scott
Smith, and best supporting actor - Billy Bob Thornton).

I agree that books usually out-perform thier filmed adaptations,
but this one is a rare and enjoyable exception.

later,
AaronB