[Fwd: OtR listie...]

Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins

-- BEGIN included message

Greg Smith wrote:

> "Joshua M. Neds-Fox" <jnedsfox at moody_edu> wrote-
>
> >I'm hooked... what does "The Violet Burning" sound like?
>
> Oh, my God! The violet burning's self titled CD, from 1996, is the
> emotional equivalent of having your guts ripped out with a fork.

:)>  Glad someone agrees with me.

> Musically, that album is much like "the Bends" era radiohead, but please
> don't take that to mean they're a knock-off. My god, are they a good
> band.

It does have kind of a _Bends_-y kinda feel. But it's much more echo-y and dreamy than _The Bends_.

> Favorite lyric:
> "Can I pull you under with me?
> Lately it's a little bit hard.
> Breathe in deep, let's float here for a while.
> Is it healing me or drowning me?
> The more I live the less I know..."
> - Underwater

This song sooooooo reminds me of the girl I was absolutely in love with at the time. Ah. Hurricane
Jane...

> "Strength" is the best worship album I've ever heard. It's not intended
> as a worship album, but there is so much to it. The sound of that one is
> more of an ethereal sound. There's a woman who sings back up on most of
> the songs named Jamie Eichler. Her vocals add so much to the racord. She
> later had a band with Andy Pricket (of the Prayer Chain, and for a
> while, the violet burning) called My Brother's Mother. If you can find
> anything by them, I'd encourage you to do so.

I agree on this one as well. My roommate and I were just talking about My Brothers Mother last
night. And, once again, I agree completely on your summation of _Strength_. It's so amazing.

> Anyway, "Chosen" their first one, is quite good as well. Kind of a dark
> synth-pop/rock sound. Kind of Cure-ish. Not as good as the later
> releases, but it's what got me hooked.

Yeah, it's a little more goth-y than the others. All 4 of them have very different sounds.

> I haven't heard "Plastic and Elastic" yet. I keep putting off ordering
> it, for whatever reason. Maybe next paycheck.
> Oh well.

Eh. It's okay. Don't spend a whole lot on it if you can help it.

> I'm gonna have to go home and crank tvb after work today. Darn you all.

Been doing just that lately. "Low" is one of the best "absolutely cranked in a car" songs ever...
:)>

Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins

-- END included message