Re: OtR listie...

"Joshua M. Neds-Fox" <jnedsfox at moody_edu> wrote-

>I'm hooked... what does "The Violet Burning" sound like?

Oh, my God! The violet burning's self titled CD, from 1996, is the
emotional equivalent of having your guts ripped out with a fork.
Musically, that album is much like "the Bends" era radiohead, but please
don't take that to mean they're a knock-off. My god, are they a good
band.
Favorite lyric:
"Can I pull you under with me?
Lately it's a little bit hard.
Breathe in deep, let's float here for a while.
Is it healing me or drowning me?
The more I live the less I know..."
- Underwater
"Strength" is the best worship album I've ever heard. It's not intended
as a worship album, but there is so much to it. The sound of that one is
more of an ethereal sound. There's a woman who sings back up on most of
the songs named Jamie Eichler. Her vocals add so much to the racord. She
later had a band with Andy Pricket (of the Prayer Chain, and for a
while, the violet burning) called My Brother's Mother. If you can find
anything by them, I'd encourage you to do so.
Anyway, "Chosen" their first one, is quite good as well. Kind of a dark
synth-pop/rock sound. Kind of Cure-ish. Not as good as the later
releases, but it's what got me hooked.
I haven't heard "Plastic and Elastic" yet. I keep putting off ordering
it, for whatever reason. Maybe next paycheck.
Oh well.
I'm gonna have to go home and crank tvb after work today. Darn you all.

Greg