@@@the violet burning (a bit long, if you arent interested in the violets, don't open...)

>>Some of you mentioned you like the violet burning.  Does anyone have any
>>info on their first albums "chosen" and "strength"?  I'd love to get a
>>hold of them, but they're no where to be found (?)
>>By the way, has anyone heard the new one: "demonstrates plastic and
>>elastic" ?  I hear it's good. . .

>I have "Chosen" on tape (I would love to have it on disc, though).  It's a
great record, very moody and well-produced.  I used to
>have "Strength" on CD, but I hated it (it seemed to be very pale in
comparison to the debut), so I sold it.  That was, like 5 or 6
>years ago, I guess.  I don't know anything about the new record - does
anyone know if it's the same lineup?  Anybody know what the
>sound is like?

it's storytime, kids!

i'm not sure if i have the 'newest' new violet burning or not... what i
have is a copy of a demo they put out a couple of years back when they were
shopping for a label. i was in a band in college and we met a guy named
Dave at one of our shows who offered us some free studio time in his own
studio so that we could record a demo. once in the studio, i noticed a
couple of boxes of 'strength' tapes lying around. being a fan of the violet
burning, i asked Dave if i could have a copy or two. he handed me two tapes
and then asked me if i'd like a copy of their new demo...

welll, needless to say i was curious about a couple of things, among them:
1.) why he would have so many copies of 'strength' and 2.) how he was able
to get ahold of their new demo... well, it turns out Dave's partner and
co-studio owner was Mark Greensomething (i forget) who produced both
'chosen' and 'strength' for the violet burning. Dave had a rough mix demo
tape with 5 songs on it that the band was using to shop around to labels.

anyway, any of you that have heard any of the violet burning haven't heard
anything like what is on this tape. it's one of the most raw (in many ways)
recordings i've ever heard. the beauty they are known for in both their
music and lyrics was exchanged for gut-wrenching honesty and angry,
distorted guitars. one of the songs even features mike pritzl screaming
"i'm ready to fall apart... it breaks your f@#king heart..."   quite a long
way from 'there is no-one like you' or 'song of the harlot...'

Dave played the demo for me in the studio and when this song started, he
looked at me and said, "yeah, i guess mike just went through a pretty messy
divorce, so... um... i guess he's a little pissed off..."

anyway, as far as the lineup goes, last i heard, shawn tubbs (guitar) and
lonnie tubbs (drums) had left the band and were doing other things now.
strangely enough, i caught a couple minutes of the stone temple pilots
unplugged on MTV a year or so ago and saw them on stage with STP! wierd...

anyway, i guess that's enough. sorry to pollute the list with a post
devoted entirely to the violet burning, but several people had asked...
plus, i gave everyone fair warning in the subject line...  ;-)

enough for now,
eric.

np: the ocean blue | the ocean blue