The Swoon (non-OTR)

OK.  You got me to de-lurk again.  The Swoon are from Minnesota (my fair home
state).  They recorded a five song demo themselves in 1988 called ben son ben
son Beatrice and played a number of christian places as well as a number of
bars in the Twin Cities.  They won the 1988 (when it was still in Gray's Lake,
IL) Cornerstone battle of the bands.  So they flew to LA, recorded five more
tunes with Charlie Peacock producing and Derri Daughterty engineering (they
stayed at Derri's parents).

The combined CD was released on Neverland Records in 1990.  After playing a
number of gigs around the midwest and never reaching critical acclaim they
split up.  The guitar player, Austin Dacey (Who Derri called one of the best
guitar players he knew at a Choir show) went to Evergreen College to study
music (same school as Kurt Cobain).  His brother, drummer Emmett Dacey is
still playing in a variety of cover bar bands in the Twin Cities and works at
a second hand CD store.  Jeana Gillispie got married and lives in rural
Minnesota.  I have no idea what happened to the bass player.

Daniel Thomas, lead singer, is still around the twin cities, writes poetry and
is involved with a Messianic Jewish congregation.  I think he plays solo once
in a while.  A short lived christian arts magazine called Kamikaze did a
"whatever happened to..." cover story on them in 1994 which had several of
Dan's poems  If you are totally dying to know more, I could mail you copies of
the article.

They were a seminal band which brought together an amazing group of creative
individuals who produced great art but of course saw no commercial success.

A second tape of tunes recorded as they were breaking up called Spectacular
Illusions is available from Dan.  Again, e-mail me directly and I can get you
his address.

So there's more information they you cared to know about The Swoon, but you
asked.
brad
bkkf at aol_com