Re: songwriters and geography trivia

Black Peppercorns, eh? I'll have to investigate.

The other thing that gets me about CCM music, is that it can only deal
with certain themes. If it gets too "real" then it's a problem. Or if a
song deals with a non-approved "Theme" then is ostracized, too.
There was a gospel artist (I can't remember who) that put an anti-gay
song on their album called "It Ain't Natural." Now, right or wrong, that
message would seem consistent with the "Mainstream" Christian worldview
(I know this is treading dangerous ground, but bear with me. I'm trying
to make my point delicately)The song was praised as upholding Biblical
values, and it was about time someone took such a stand. But when it was
released as a single, you could hear the crickets chirp on the charts.
The song addressed a theme that wasn't approved. It's fine for someone
else to make a stand, but when time came to stand behind that message
and face an unpopular reaction, no one would do it.
I work in Christian radio. This kind of thing happens all too often. I
used to not like most Christian music because it was (is) cheesy, with
certain fantastic exceptions. But now loathe it, because I'm finding
most of it to be a horrific lie.
And for these reasons, my respect for bands like OtR grows, because it
seems to me that they follow their muse, and that's it. Some months ago
there was a thread here about OtR hiring an image consultant or
something like that. I said then, and I still say that scares me because
it's a step to "The dark side". Stick with the music. Forget the rest.
Be true to yourself, or the whole things a lie.
Man, did I climb on a big-ass soap box for this one...

Greg