Re: songwriters and geography trivia

 Smith <janweatherman at hotmail_com> wrote:

> I was reading the thread about songwriters and faith and whatnot,
and I
> must say that I was struck by Bink's comments about a songwriter's
> wrestling with faith and the issues of disclosing that struggle in
song.

wow, i must have really said something relavant for a change! ;{)}

>While living in
> Pittsburgh, I was in a band that was trying to dance the Christian/
> secular line.... (edited) Declaring yourself
> as a Christian seems to be more limiting that helpful. We had things
we
> wanted to sing about, our singer really tried to make connections
with
> the audience, and it made no sense to us to put up a barrier that
didn't
> need to be there.

it's sad that this is so often the case, but it's a true point. sure,
i'm Christian, but i don't make a point of flaunting that to my
audience. "Chrisitan music" has such a poor connotation because most
people think of the drivel (in *my* opinion) which comes from the
canned music sytles of the likes of Sandy Patti, Carman, and Micheal
W. Smith. (i am not picking on any fans of this music, so don't bring
it up) sure, they have their audiences, but much of the "Chrisitan"
music in general seems to carry an air of condemnation toward anything
"non-Christian." i can't quite explain it, but it's there. besides,
being a "Christian musician" somehow provides the assumption that you
are not able to write about anything other than God. and when your
music is good enough to transcend that stereotype, then why confine
yourself to it?

i prefer to sing my music and let it go at that. if, after a show,
someone wants to approach me and ask me about a certain tune, or if
they need to talk--whatever--then i will gladly discuss anything on a
one on one level. even if that means i feel lead to discuss my faith.
but even then, i will not force my faith upon anybody.

>We wrote music that meant something to us, and
> hopefully it meant something to others. People need to relate to each
> other as people. The worst things that happen in history are when
people
> start thinking in terms of us vs. them.
> I think I had a point in there somewhere. perhaps you'll find it.

bingo. there's your point, my friend.

> Along those lines- I'd like to recommend an artist to everybody if
you
> already haven't heard him. His name is Michael Knott.

cool! a friend of mine introduced me to him a couple of years ago. in
fact, she took me to see him in Wheaton, Ill. at True Tunes, when it
was still open. the only thing between me and him was a floor monitor.
at one point someone gave him a roll of toilet paper (in hopes of him
tossing it about like he's been known to do with L.S.U.) and he just
put it on the stool next to him. when he later lost his guitar pick,
he looked at the roll and offered to trade anyone the t.p. for a
guitar pick. i think the last thing he really expected was that a guy
sitting right in front of him would actually HAVE a pick (i feel naked
without one) on his person. so he lived up to his bargan. i bet i'm
the only one who can tout having an autographed roll of toilet paper
from Mike Knott.

i've also been known to cover "Kitty." especially when no one's
expecting it. ;{)}

thanks for the post, Greg!

bink