T.V. Glorifin' :)

bink (who moved me to actually post on this topic for once)

| well, speaking for myself as a songwriter, i, too, am
| on a constant journey to find truth.

the discovery of truth is in the midst of the pursuit.  To me, you can't
have one without the other.

but i know how difficult that
| road is for me as i try to keep focused in this crazy world. shoot,
| there are times i don't even *want* to know what the truth is. (the joys
| of pride) i can relate exactly to what Linford is saying by strugling
| to express faith.  faith is extremely personal, but faith isn't
| always easy, either. i usually find my way back with a tiny
| flashlight and the smallest hope.

I've never known a faith that was easy.  The songwriting I love best is that
which attempts to reflect that...expressing the depth of darkness, the cloud
of unknowing, the questions with weak answers and the recognition of the
pieces which keep us from wholeness...all of this while holding a tiny
flashlight (...and the smallest hope...great line btw).

it is not easy to express my faith in
| songwriting because there are so many facets to it that i fear i
| can never do it justice... and there are so many times i feel like my
| faith (or lack thereof) isn't even worth the slightest form of expression.

and that's exactly the sentiment that will grant freedom and integrity to
the writing.  It's when you abandon control of the craft that the artistry
begins to move.

| songwriters are tempermental people, for the most part
| (anyone care to back me up on this?) and expression of *anything*
| doesn't always come easy!

I can most definately back you up on this...well said.  I've always loved
that interview with Linford because I can relate so well to what he's
talking about.

Candace

PS jg said:
| today sure seemed like a good day to post this
| to the list.   today was a little eyebrow raising,
| wasn' t it, fellow secularists?
well my dear friend, I was doing some eyebrow raising myself.