Re: T.V. Glorifin' :)

---Candace Elder <CElder at providence_mb.ca> wrote:

> bink (who moved me to actually post on this topic for once)

nice to know i have such influence. ;{)}

> the discovery of truth is in the midst of the pursuit.  To me, you
can't
> have one without the other.

agreed! how many times have i looked so hard only to find i was blind
for seeing it. they walk together along the same path.

then she said:

> I've never known a faith that was easy.  The songwriting I love best
is that
> which attempts to reflect that...expressing the depth of darkness,
the cloud
> of unknowing, the questions with weak answers and the recognition of
the
> pieces which keep us from wholeness...all of this while holding a tiny
> flashlight (...and the smallest hope...great line btw).

(thanks!)

this is the point exactly! and this is how i try to write. you can
find plenty of struggle in many of my songs, yet you can also see the
need to reach out to that tiniest (yet biggest) glimmer of hope and
light whilst swimmimg in the midst of this soup we call life.

then i said:

> it is not easy to express my faith in
> | songwriting because there are so many facets to it that i fear i
> | can never do it justice... and there are so many times i feel like
my
> | faith (or lack thereof) isn't even worth the slightest form of
expression.

to which the lass replied:

> and that's exactly the sentiment that will grant freedom and
integrity to
> the writing.  It's when you abandon control of the craft that the
artistry
> begins to move.

LOL don't i know it. a handful of times i've tried to write with a
specific idea in mind only to have the song say, "Uh-uh. Ain't gonna
happen." and the tune is birthed as a girl when all this time i've
been hoping for a son. (and the "daughter" becomes a far more
beautiful child than that "son" ever could have been.)

she wrote:

> I can most definately back you up on this...well said.  I've always
loved
> that interview with Linford because I can relate so well to what he's
> talking about.

and doesn't it make you want to cry sometimes when you come accross
such brilliantly spoken folk? but then i realize that if we all wrote
and sounded the same, there would be absolutely no joy to any of it
whatsoever. i am thankful that i write as *me*, even if i feel like
shredding my own words sometimes.

thanks for the wonderful "conversation" here, Candace!

bink