From: Don A. Smith <dasmith at asm2_mit.edu>
To: jg900 at bright_net <jg900 at bright_net>
Date: Wednesday, December 09, 1998 1:19 PM
Subject: @@@ religion vs. secular poll

>Hi,
>
>I was just perusing the archives, and I noticed:
>
>> 19 people responded and the religious path is more footworn.  It
>> seems that 11 of you have trod down that trail, whereas (working out
>> the math here as best i can) 8 respondents have cleared a trail on
>> their own.
>
>I thought I would mention that this distribution of answers is
>completely statistically consistant with a 50-50 split.  With a sample
>size of 19, under the null hypothesis that someone is equally likely
>to come to OtR from either path, an 11-8 split (or worse) is about 48%
>likely to happen by chance.  Let me put it this way: I discovered OtR
>through a friend who was really big into the CCM scene, so I guess
>that puts me on the religous path.  That makes an even 20, with a 12-8
>split.  If I flip a coin 20 times, the probability that I will get
>more than 11 heads is about 25%.  That's not exceptional.  I would
>have to get at least 14 heads (6% chance) before I started saying the
>coin was weighted, and it wouldn't be really convincing until I got 17
>heads (0.1% chance).  Or to put it another way around, let's say the
>eight people currently in your sample are the only eight people you
>ever hear that answer from.  If you got five more people to tell you
>that they came down the religious path, you would have a 5% chance of
>getting a 17-8 split purely by random chance, which would be
>borderline acceptable for rejecting the null hypothesis of equal
>likelihood.
>
>That is, in order to say one path is "more footworn", you need to know
>that the probability of getting your answer would be extremely
>unlikely if both paths were *equally* footworn.  You can then say that
>the data is *not* consistent with equal traffic (at the 5% level, in
>that last example), which therefore means that there probably *is* a
>bias.  (95% likely, in that example.)  Usually, you don't reject the
>hypothesis unless you can get 95% or higher.  With your current data,
>your first sentence really should read: "20 people responded and
>there's a 75% chance that the religious path is more footworn."
>
>Fun with statistics!  I hope this was interesting, or at least helpful,
>and not obnoxious.
>
>Yours sincerely,
>--
>Don Smith      The Rossi X-Ray Timing Explorer
>dasmith at space_mit.edu        http://www.mit.edu/~dasmith/
>
>"You have to have a Death that you're drawn to, because otherwise it's
>like, 'Hey, it's Death, don't get near me!'"
> - Kevin Wade, one of the screenwriters for _Meet Joe Black_

well, no,  Don,  i didn't find it obnoxious at all.  surprising though,
that we'd have to deviate so far from what looks like a fifty fifty split to
even  raise an eyebrow.      today sure seemed like a good day to post this
to the list.   today was a little eyebrow raising,  wasn' t it, fellow
secularists?

(hmmm.  i musta missed school that day they were teaching Stats.)

jg

np:  david bowie  __changestwobowie__  {RCA}