Re: T.V. Glorifyin'

Hey all,

It seems to me that whether or not Mark McEwan, CBS, or Over the Rhine
for that matter *meant* to glorify God is irrelevant.  Just the simple
fact that God exists means that he will always be glorified in both big
and small ways both by believers and non-believers.  If God wants a
message out there, it will be out there.  I can think of several songs
by non-christians with a "christian" message.  Rod Stewart's "People Get
Ready" comes to mind initially.  The fact that Karin and Linford wrote
AINiE as basically a prayer just makes it's mainstream exsposure all
that better to me (and I'm sure others too).  So just because OtR or a
certain song doesn't fit nicely into the molds we've created doesn't
matter much.  God says that if we (his followers) don't praise him, then
the rocks on the ground will.--so surely if a rock (rock music??!) can
praise God, wouldn't a person or a tv station fit in that same
category?

The bottom line is that God is everywhere.  He is evidenced in the
trees, the sky, the air we breathe and even our complex bodies.
Everything of beauty and wonder that most of us take for granted (me
included) was created by God.  So just because someone misses the
message in a song that was initially a prayer to God doesn't mean much
to me.  People have been missing His messages for centuries.  But, the
fact that the messages are out there is good enough.  It's amazing what
can be seen (and heard) if we just take the time to notice.

peace,

"He is not silent, we just are not listening"
                                             --Out of the Gray

"I still wrestle with how best to express my faith...My songwriting is
an expression of my journey, my search for truth, and a relfection of my
worldview, which usually operates mostly on a subconscious level.  It's
not something that I constantly brandish about or announce, it's
naturally a part of me.
                                           --Linford Detweiler

"Cause we can't run truth out of town, only force it underground.  The
roots grow deeper in ways we can't conceive."
                                --All I need is Everything