SNtR, OtR

Layne Petersen wrote:

Ed Shuman wrote re: Sixpence:

>> Actually, I wasn't as impressed with their latest album.  Assuming they
>> haven't come out with one since the S/T.  The lyrics seemed too
>> self-conscious, and I had the feeling that they had run low on ideas and
>> just continued to write anyway.  (It seems like two or three songs on
>> there were about writing songs....)
>
>The CD was written mostly during a time of big-time upheaval for the band.
>>Their label had been
>essentially trying to go under or not go under for a couple of years and
>they >couldn't get out of
>their contract, and felt very used.

I'm not sure that excuses their self-indulgence on a couple of songs.  I
routinely skip over that one about "this is the last song I write" or
whatever. I love Waiting Room of the World and Kiss Me and Easy to Ignore
and Puedo Escribir . . . I mean, I like the album, but I agree that they
should have left off some of the whinier songs.  They were probably
cathartic at the time they wrote them, but they probably didn't need to
make it to the studio.  I mean, I'm sorry you had a hard time and that you
got picked up, like *immediately* once you got out of your previous
contract.  Cry me a river.  Spend some time sacking groceries or something.

But I still say this is a group to watch.  They are, for the most part,
smart, musical, experimental in mostly good ways . . . The body of work
they've produced so far only makes me want to see if they can continue to
mature with their next album.  If they don't get sucked into the more
morose numbers on the S/T album, they might still go on to do some
incredible stuff.  In other words, I follow them because of the potential I
see in them more than for the work they've done so far.  Does that make
sense?

Re: OtR:  I have DNotY on order.  I'm watching the door for the UPS man.
HURRY!

btw, does everyone know that Leigh Nash of SNtR lists OtR as one of her
influences?  I think this is a hopeful thing.  I hope Leigh's voice
matures.  One of the thing I like about Karin's voice is that she actually
sounds like an adult woman singing.  Too many female singers today have
this little girl quality that makes me nuts.  Leigh makes it work most of
the time, but I hope she finds a more womanly voice for the next album.
Listening to Karin is a good start, I think.

I don't post here.  Why am I rambling so?  I should stop, go back to the
shadows of lurking.  The people *here* are sometimes shy.

-Neil
np:  Jonatha Brooke and the Story:  Plumb

Neil E. Orts               *  . . . books are my passion, not only writing
Sr. Administrative Assoc.  *  them and every once in a while even reading
Office of Graduate Studies *  them but just having them and moving them
University of Texas Austin *  around and feeling the comfort of their
Main 101 -- 512/232-3625   *  serene presence.
neo at mail_utexas.edu        *
fax:  512/475-8851         *                     -Frederick Buechner