Re: Sixpence & OTR--are we breathing?

 DustyVolume <marquis at icx_net> said, ( and I'm still amazed) :

>then he states that the
>band's intent is on making the best *music* they can. Just because
>he's
>excited and tags the line with a phrase that makes sense to another
>christian (me), doesn't mean he's pig-headedly calling the band
>christian and then wondering aloud why they just don't open up to it.
>I mean he's already out and out said that the band's *not* christian.
>He's just making a logical comparison (to christians) that a >christian
>is called to be the best he/she can be in all he/she does.

Thank you!!! I think we've all realized that although they have definite
spiritual concerns and have not done anything to offend anyone, that
Over The Rhine are not a "Christian band" per se. Yet the argument
continues...What I want to know is,would it change people's minds either
way if they *were* a Christian band? I can't stand how people treat
Christianity like it's a disease! (No offense to any "recovering
christians" on the list, really) I'm not going to shove the Bible down
anyone's throat but in return I don't expect anyone to be telling me
that I'm mislead because of what I choose to believe. So to all the
people that come here after seeing OTR at C-stone or whatever, are you
disappointed that they're not a Christian band? And for those of you are
not Christians,would you be disappointed if they were? We are all here
because something about their music touched us in some way that we were
moved to join their listserv! It shouldn't have to go beyond that! If
someone has a little blurb to say about the band from a Christian
perspective in a non-threatening way, just because they are happy (which
this ope character, fictional or not, seems to be doing) then we
shouldn't attack! The fur shouldn't be going up all over the list!

>I'm honestly getting a little tired of seeing christianity being
>skewered in the name of keeping the peace.

Beautiful! *applauds*

>So far there hasn't been
>anything that has made me quit reading a post, or unsubscribe, and I
>really doubt there will be.   My point is get over it.  If you don't
>like what you're reading, wait and maybe a thread about what you do
>like
>will pop up next.  It amazes me that a thread about sexual tetris can
>literally go on for DAYS, but one post about christianity raises the
>red
>flag.

OK I'll admit I participated in the thread about sexual Tetris...but all
I wanted to know was what it was! There have been a lot of threads here
that have just confused me, and I chalked that up to being a new fan, a
new listie, and obviously not there when certain things happened. That's
cool! I don't mind weeding through personal posts that have nothing to
do with me. This isn't a list about me (thank God) it's about OTR *AND*
all of us who like them and what we have to say to each other. If people
are *that* disturbed by all the "extraneous" posts, then they should
just subscribe to the announcement list. Sorry to be so harsh...please
don't hate me!!! All I'm going to say is that I'm sick and tired of
walking on eggshells and embarrassing my fellow Christians by
practically denying my faith just to seem cool on this list! I don't
CARE if Over The Rhine is a Christian band!!! I like them, we ALL like
them here!!! Isn't that enough?

Cringing In A Corner,
                 jillian <><
"If I said I don't want what I don't have, and all the answers
are enough...If I said I believe in myself, and that's enough,
I'd be lying..." - Sam Phillips

\\|//http://listen.to/me_thank_you \\|//