Re: Sixpence & OTR--are we breathing?

In a message dated 11/30/98 11:28:07 PM Central Standard Time, marquis at icx_net
writes:

> Just because he's
>  excited and tags the line with a phrase that makes sense to another
>  christian (me), doesn't mean he's pig-headedly calling the band
>  christian and then wondering aloud why they just don't open up to it.

yeah, i know... i didn't say anything about him calling otr a christian band.
i just thought it was funny that he brought up religion as a subject all its
own, and then brought up (whether he took a side on it or not) the "is otr a
christian band" debate.  i just thought it was funny...  hence, my post "LOL"

>  I'm honestly getting a little tired of seeing christianity being
>  skewered in the name of keeping the peace.  I mean there are a lot of
>  things on this list that I don't agree with, don't want to agree with,
>  or just plain ole don't want to read, but there are also a lot of things
>  that I do.  When I see a whole thread about "God knows what" coming thru
>  my OtR listserv, I just read it and go on.

but it is different with religion.  if you are religious then you know that it
may go deeper than a favorite song or a hatred of liquid beef.  could you read
a post that had nothing to do with otr, but was a scripture that someone found
cool from their faith and not counter with one from yours?  maybe you could,
mark, but i assure you that there are plenty of people on this list who could
not.  you know who they are.  you've been here awhile.
my point is not that someone shouldn't feel free to express his or her
interpretation of a song (whatever that is--religious or otherwise), but that
if your post is sheerly religious (i found a cool verse or god did this for me
or all the members of otr are christians and they are a christian band b/c
they play festivals like c-stone) you might want to think twice about posting
it.  this has been such a problem that there was a disclaimer that you
received when you signed up for the list!!!
i am not anti-christian.  and i have no problem with people like lindsey who
post that they have found spiritual meaning in otr's songs and that otr has
helped them grow.  that's great.  they've helped me, too.  what i have
problems with is assumptions--people assuming that because a song says "god"
that means father, son, holy spirit, a cross, and an empty tomb.  maybe not to
me...  i think it would be wonderful if we could have discussions of otr and
spirituality on this list, but i don't think we as a whole are mature enough
for it.  i know of so many different beliefs on this list...
but those in the spiritual minority don't post those beliefs because they know
they will be bombarded by the christian backlash of "i will be praying for
you" at best and "you're going to hell" at worst.  trust me, i have gotten
those messages and everything in between.  i just feel that it would be better
for everyone if we kept such discussions of otr and religion off the list
because we have shown that we are not mature enough to handle it.
and i agree with all of you who are thinking that WAY too big of a deal is
being made over this.  i think so, too, but for those who have gotten really
offended and upset during those fights in the past mark told me not to talk
about, it is a big deal.  some people have gotten really hurt by non-
christians attacking their fragile faith or challenging their beliefs.  and
some non-christians have been forever turned off to that religion by the
hateful posts they have received.  and a lot of these people have slipped
quietly off the list, some citing a move or graduation as the reason they left
us.  but i have talked to a lot of them personally, and i know the real reason
they left.  and you know what?  so they don't get my bright and cheery otr
posts every day.  so what?  and maybe they'll miss a concert because they
won't hear the news.  but for those of you that are religious, you should
believe that a far greater tragedy has occured that this person is forever
turned off to your faith.
i am not trying to silence anyone.  god knows you all have been more than
gracious in letting me speak my mind.  i am just trying to avoid the fights.
and mark i know you told me not to talk about them, but...  one person posts
something, and it is hard for those who agree to not post their support, and
it is hard for those who disagree not to post their opposition....
i have talked enough.  and i do agree with mark that either of our posts
probably won't change a thing, but at least it's out there...
jan
p.s.  i have met mark.  and despite the fact that we disagree all the time, he
was very nice.  we exchanged pleasantries, a hug, and an "i'll see you after
the show" (but we didn't)....