Re: Sixpence & OTR--are we breathing?

The soundbite taken out of context went something like this:

> > g to do. They just aren't labeled
> >  as a "Christian band". If a band is "Christian" i think they should not
> >  be ashamed of it.  They're purpose is to Glorify God through there music.
> >  Who cares what anyone else says. There audience is GOD!!!! agree? or not?
>
> LOL...  i give up...
> jan
> p.s.  maybe this ope person is really someone like chris or bink who just
> wants to start trouble... ; )

Attention, after I went back and re-read this it's a little heavy and
moody, so save it for later if you want a good deep read, or, depending
on your tastes, something to bore you to tears.

Although I will be the second to admit (dang it jan, I wanted to be the
first!)that this ope s yinger (hope singer??) certainly smells like a
fraud--I mean come on, every single post he/she/it posts is a rehash of
an old thread we've already covered, and in some cases, covered with
casualties, I want to send out my small voice in support of 'im--I mean
if he really exists.  In this case, he was taken out of context.
Something that happens frequently, I've noticed.  Jan, if you would have
cut up a couple more lines in his post you would have included this:

>  read this in ccm
> magazine.  They said that they are trying to  write music and be really
> good at it. Create art and be good at it.  I thought that was cool.
> 'cause that is exactly what OTR is trying to do. They just aren't labeled
> as a "Christian band".

First, he cites his source as CCM mag, and then he states that the
band's intent is on making the best *music* they can. Just because he's
excited and tags the line with a phrase that makes sense to another
christian (me), doesn't mean he's pig-headedly calling the band
christian and then wondering aloud why they just don't open up to it.  I
mean he's already out and out said that the band's *not* christian.
He's just making a logical comparison (to christians) that a christian
is called to be the best he/she can be in all he/she does.  A musician
who's a christian is called to be the best musican he/she can be, just
as marine biologist who's a christian is called to be the bes MB he/she
can.  I will agree that the comparison is a little awkward the way it's
placed in the paragraph, but I can still see where it's coming from, and
where it's going--and it's not where this misleading blurb makes it out
to be.

I'm honestly getting a little tired of seeing christianity being
skewered in the name of keeping the peace.  I mean there are a lot of
things on this list that I don't agree with, don't want to agree with,
or just plain ole don't want to read, but there are also a lot of things
that I do.  When I see a whole thread about "God knows what" coming thru
my OtR listserv, I just read it and go on.  So far there hasn't been
anything that has made me quit reading a post, or unsubscribe, and I
really doubt there will be.   My point is get over it.  If you don't
like what you're reading, wait and maybe a thread about what you do like
will pop up next.  It amazes me that a thread about sexual tetris can
literally go on for DAYS, but one post about christianity raises the red
flag.  And don't give me the "christianity wars from the past" line.  I
was here, and I saw words get twisted and misunderstood then too.  My
view is the same.  Religion is something that whole countries have been
created over, wars have been waged in the name of, and whole races of
people have been tormented for.  It's a deeply personal belief, but, and
I know I'm just guessing, but, I don't believe that any of us is are in
danger of losing our country, our life, or our heritage if we just
simply let it slide.  I'm willing to let a lot of things go by, so that
intelligent coversation can flow about a band that I think pretty highly
of--maybe I shouldn't, but I am.  I've just reached my limit on it for
now.  WHY, can't a person (who is a christian) post something that makes
sense to another (who is a christian) and not get singled out and made
to feel like an outlaw?  I mean the list is full of christians, just as
I'm sure it's full of pagans, wicans, atheists, vegetarians, gays,
artists, teachers, students--on and on.  Do any of these other "groups"
get singled out and thumped on the head everytime they post something
that has to do with their belief/practice--no.  Why christians?? We're
in a created environment here folks, we can do whatever we want.  Let's
choose to be a little lighter on the "veto" power when it comes to
religion. Okay?  I don't want the focus to be on what topics can't be
brought up, but all the topics that CAN.  So, even though this will
probably have no bearing at all on the next post with christianity in
it, maybe it will help clear up the last one that did.

If anyone made it through this whole post, thank you.

Mark

NP: King Crimson _Larks Tounges in Aspic_  ;) to CE