Re: Alanis bashing

In a message dated 11/5/98 12:43:17 PM, CHRISTEL at uwplatt_edu writes:

<<>   What oh what oh WHAT IS IT about produced music that turns all you
> intellgent people off????>>

First of all,all music is produced by someone. There are clearly differences
between good production and bad production. There are producers that have
vision and those who dont. Take for example the production work of Daniel
Lanois. Did he have a different vision of Bob Dylan than his previous
producers? And his work with Emmy Lou Harris on wrecking ball? How about the
difference between the production of say Rickie Lee Jones's albums? Traffic
from paradise which she produced is far different than flying cowboys that
Walter Becker produced. Those were two distinctly different wonderful
approaches to the music and the artist.

Why would someone insist on imputting different lyrics to the same old
droneing music of Rem. Why waste the time? I can stand and enjoy most of their
albums. But why buy ten? Just download the lyrics from the net ,buy one,and
save your money. As for Alannis,what I've heard from  the new release sounds
pretty good. Sounds like she is maturing like Sheryl Crowe has. They both it
seems to me, sold out somewhat to get where they did. Sometimes you have to
sell some of your self to get that oppertunity. It's a tough buisness. It
seems that their music is being transformed to were they want to be. The past
is the past. They made the decision to play the game to get there,and now they
are excercising the power that they have to change it. God bless 'em

A few years back I went to see Bruce Cockburn and Sam Phillips opened for him.
She played her songs solo acoustic because of problems with her band. this was
the first I had heard her. She was Great in that setting. I went out and
bought the 2 albums that were available at the time, brought them home and
wondered"what was going through this guys mind that produced this? It seemed
to me that he was more worried aboud his own selfish musing than her music.
They were horrible.

Or the last release by Maria McKee. What was that all about. That producer
ruined her as an artist and masked that beautiful voice. If you take offense
at peoples criticism  of bands that have missed the ball in production or
setteled for mediocrity .It's not always because the masses invaded their
little sanctuary,It's because we may have spent the 16 dollars,and we've heard
it all before ,or it just plain sucked!