Re: i second that emotion

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, bink meister wrote:

> well, jg, i ain't even gonna TRY to reprint your post here, but...
>
> i echo your refrian, my friend.  GDBD and Eve often switch places in my
> "preffered" slots.  i love each for completely different reasons.

	the saga continues ...

	i found a copy of _eve_ last weekend.  "bothered" has a major
scratch in it, (oh, bother!) so i cannot hear it all the way through.  at
any rate, _eve_ is an incredible recording.  it definitely hooks the
listener on the first listen. "happy with myself" is such a tease.
"daddy untwisted" just rocks.  the guitar playing is a real treat.  i now
understand why passions run so deep on this.  (i agree, mr. emery, _eve_
is a very sultry recording!)

	(on a quick side note, trina shoemaker recorded and mixed part of
the album, _eve_.  she also produced the moon seven times' latest album,
_sunburnt_, which is another cool band worth checking out.  imho, they
have a very similar set-up and sound, in comparison with over the rhine.)

	_good dog, bad dog_ has its merits, too.  since it was my only
over the rhine recording i guess i couldn't say too much without a
comparison piece.  reading the liner notes, i guess that the majority of
the songs were just first take demos, which accounts for their starkness.
i preferred the more produced pieces, like "a gospel number," or "jack's
valentine."  very cool stuff.

> like i said, as far as R.E.M. goes, i have a copy of Monster which is
> still in the cellophane collecting dust.  over the few years i've had it,
> i just can't bring myself to listen to it.  and how in the HELL can
> ANYONE think that Green should be considered an album?  i'm with you,
> gimme Driver Eight or Talk About the Passion anyday....

	agreed, bink.  when i worked retail at borders, _monster_ was the
first r.e.m. recording i saw as a cut out.   not just the regular release,
mind you, but the limited edition release, as well.  pretty scary, eh?
while i understand that they shouldn't have to make _murmur, part 12_, i
get a little nervous when r.e.m. starts talking about making "commercially
viable music."  that was an actual quote from mike mills, btw.  (wait a
minute, c.v.m. has such a pleasant ring to it!  what if ... )

	i better shut up now and do some homework.  ciao--vc

np:  xtc  _english roundabout_