Karin's voice; Mike Stipe

Ok, I've got to ask and please forgive my ignorance, but when I saw OTR in
Seattle, I was somewhat surprised when I heard Karin's speaking voice. She
had, as far as I could hear, a typical American non-accent which we find
more and more as the So-Cal media permeates the world.

Anyway...when Karin sings, I swear I hear an accent which I once believed
was Swedish.

Am I alone on this one?

Cat: Crush with Eyeliner is the Courtney Love song. yick. What troubles me
about Mr. Stipe is less who he is, but rather how others in the Alternative
crowd (notice the capital A--meaning, of course, the market constructed
Alternative) hold him as this Rock and Roll Buddha figure. Rolling Stone
ran a picture of Mr. Stipe kneeling before a child, with a similarly bald
Billy Corgan kneeling as well. VERY BIZARRE. Mr. Stipe also buddies with
Thom Yorke, was of course an influence for Kurt Cobain, and I'm sure serves
as a patron saint for others.

I like the idea of Michael Stipe, but find the enigmatic gentleman himself
a bit annoying. Before his coming out as a bi-sexual, he had been
romantically linked to Natalie Merchant (there's even a stale rumor that
they were married for a time--doubt that, though) and I had a friend at the
time say, "Aren't Michael Stipe and Natalie Merchant Animus and Anima of
the same person?"

Thought that was pretty funny.

Matteo