Re: In Defense of GDBD

scott ulrich <ulrichsd at miavx1_acs.muohio.edu> sez:
>On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Chris Emery wrote:
>> Not always.   TWHF indoctrinated me, and when Patience came out, *it*
>> was my favorite.   Then when _Eve_ came out, *it* was my favorite.
>> Still is, at this point.
>
>That is kind of strange to think about... TWHF is my favorite album, and
>it was the first album that I ever listened to. I've also heard a lot of
>the songs live, though, which is definitely a factor. For a period of time
>Eve and TWHF switched and Eve was my fave, but it's back to TWHF in first.
>I think it has that emotional / diverse / inspiring quality that everyone
>gives as credit to GDBD.

You know what I realized the other day listening to TWHF?   'Someday'
is a really cool song.   It never hit me before.

>> Low budget production often lowers people's opinions of TWHF -
>> especially among those who never saw the band in their live heyday.
>
>Agreed, though I think low budget is a relative term. (ie, low budget in
>no way = bad) I think that they did more with the mix than on most of
>their other albums. Definitely the most collaboritive album from the
>band IMO, perhaps with the exception of Patience (?).

I wasn't trying to equate low budget with bad, just noting that with
the overall sound of the album, you can tell it was recorded on a
shoestring.

>> And I *still* say you can't count a compilation when ranking a band's
>> albums.  ;-P
>
>Busted... STOP!!! face the computer and put your hands against the
>monitor! We'll have no refering to besides as an album on *this* list!
>
>one more misunderstood listee, one more day for the *official* album police.

So what are you trying to say, Scott?  Are you calling _Besides_ an
album qua album, or not?   I say no...it's a compilation.

>> Floyd Code: v1.2a r+d>s TW 0/0/ FD 1- 0 Meddle 3 0 29.8% <16oct98>
>
>sorry, but i don't get this... Chris, your not letting that sig file get
>out of hand again!?! Pretty soon Bruce is going to bust you for adding an
>extra few bytes to everyone's inbox. ;)

It's an ampf thing...you wouldn't understand.  ;-)    And Bruce can
take up any .sig issues with me in person tonight.

NP: Yes - 'Siberian Khatru' (live - I *love* my spinner.com!)
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
Floyd Code: v1.2a r+d>s TW 0/0/ FD 1- 0 Meddle 3 0 29.8% <16oct98>
"Kibology is the sound of a deaf man clapping one
   hand into a tree that's falling in the woods with
     no one around to hear it." - Kevin Allegood