Re: In Defense of GDBD

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Chris Emery wrote:

> manicely at OREGON_UOREGON.EDU sez:
>
> >Perhaps the album that indoctrinates you is the one that becomes your
> >favorite.
>
> Not always.   TWHF indoctrinated me, and when Patience came out, *it*
> was my favorite.   Then when _Eve_ came out, *it* was my favorite.
> Still is, at this point.

That is kind of strange to think about... TWHF is my favorite album, and
it was the first album that I ever listened to. I've also heard a lot of
the songs live, though, which is definitely a factor. For a period of time
Eve and TWHF switched and Eve was my fave, but it's back to TWHF in first.
I think it has that emotional / diverse / inspiring quality that everyone
gives as credit to GDBD.

> >Eve is also great, of course, and is my second favorite--great energy,
> >again great lyrics, and a very consistent vibe (I have many, many songs
> >that I love on this album, but, alas, they come after the GDBD set).
> >B-sides is third. Patience fourth, and, sorry, but Til We Have Faces is last.
>
> Low budget production often lowers people's opinions of TWHF -
> especially among those who never saw the band in their live heyday.

Agreed, though I think low budget is a relative term. (ie, low budget in
no way = bad) I think that they did more with the mix than on most of
their other albums. Definitely the most collaboritive album from the
band IMO, perhaps with the exception of Patience (?).

> And I *still* say you can't count a compilation when ranking a band's
> albums.  ;-P

Busted... STOP!!! face the computer and put your hands against the
monitor! We'll have no refering to besides as an album on *this* list!

one more misunderstood listee, one more day for the
*official* album police.

> Floyd Code: v1.2a r+d>s TW 0/0/ FD 1- 0 Meddle 3 0 29.8% <16oct98>

sorry, but i don't get this... Chris, your not letting that sig file get
out of hand again!?! Pretty soon Bruce is going to bust you for adding an
extra few bytes to everyone's inbox. ;)

oh well,
talk to you all later,
scott