Re: My lost youth

VINCENT G. CICILLINI wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Layne Petersen wrote:
>
> > >         "this is sure stirring up some ghosts for me" -- robbie robertson
> >
> > Robertson rocks. What do you think of _Contact from the Underworld of Redboy_?
> > It's okay, but I'd rather just put on his self-titled CD for the thousandth
> > time...
>
> i agree.  the scary thing is, i could listen to robbie robertson recite
> listings from the yellow pages.  his voice conjures up some far-off film
> noir image from the 1940's.  his debut album was well-crafted.  i still
> laugh when some critics thought "american roulette," was about robbie
> himself.  a canadian station that i get has resurrected the _storyville_
> album.  they play several cuts from it, not just "what about now?"

I've not heard _Storyville_ all the way through. Only a song or two, and that was
quite some time ago. Have you heard that song "Rockabye" by some Mullins guy? I think
it sounds like a rather poor Robertson impression. Reminds me a little of "Take Your
Partner by the Hand" on _Contact..._ and Howie B.'s last CD.

> > > anybody remember frankie goes to hollywood or dead or alive?
> >
> > Oh yes. We used to frequent a bar in town that had "teen night" back in the
> > early- to mid-eighties, and Dead or Alive sooooo reminds me of that. Mr. Emery
> > and I have also talked about the merits of FGtH. I personally think their 2nd CD
> > that no one ever seems to know about is better than _Welcome to the
> > Pleasuredome_.
>
> dead or alive weren't much in the way of vocal range, but you couldn't
> still to them, even if you were tied in a chair.  personally, i always
> preferred _liverpool_, too.  i thought that it was a much better album
> lyrically and musically, as well as the overall production.

I completely agree. Good stuff. I need to locate that bad boy on CD one of these
days.

> it is a shame
> that they broke up.  this was not a one-hit wonder band.  in a related
> vein, i thought that paul rutherford's solo album was better than holly
> johnson's for the exact same reasons.  (yes, i know, i know, ... but i am
> a completist.  what can you do?)

:)>

> > >         over the rhine content ... the cowboy junkies with over the rhine
> > > will be playing at the michigan theater, in ann arbor, on november 8th, at
> > > 7:30pm. (sorry to use the m-word, chris.)  anybody interested?
> >
> > Oh, I'm interested. I'm just in Colorado... :)>
> >
> > >         hth, ciao--vc
> > >
> > > np:  eno/cale  _wrong way up_
> >
> > np: Bowie - "Heroes" (the song running through my head right now...)
>
> what do you think of the german-language version, "helden"?  "heroes" is
> amazing, both album and song, imho.

Once again, I agree wholeheartedly. "Heroes" is probably my favourite Bowie song
(most days anyway). I love the Berlin trilogy. They were so atmospheric and cool.

>         what else do you listen to, layne?  ciao-vc

Little o' this, little o' that. Let's see, in the player over the course of today
were _Urban Hymns_ by the Verve, _Patience_, _The Best of Van Morrison_, Radiohead's
_OK Computer_, and REM's _Automatic for the People_. Oh, and Bob Mould's _Workbook_.
How 'bout you? BTW, I tried to send the last one to your address as well and it got
bounced back...

> np:  housemartins  _london 0, hull 4_

My roommate has _The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death_, but I think that's it
by the Housemartins. Have been digging Fatboy Slim's stuff a bit (in a "this is
pretty cool now and would sound great on a dancefloor, but I bet I'll hate it in a
year" kinda way)...
Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner
...it meant the world to hold a bruising faith,
but now it's just a matter of grace...           - Smashing Pumpkins