Re: all this stuff

Kendrickjd at aol_com wrote:

> i just wish that in all of the people who insist on calling over the rhine a
> christian band, ONE of them would find a quote to back themselves up.

not trying to play 'devil's advocate' here or anything, but i did dig up this
quote from Linford, which kind of relates...

"We were thinking of calling "Happy To Be So" Psalm 151 for awhile because to me
it's very psalm-like lyrically. The psalmist often bemoans his inability to break
through the walls of heaven, fearing that God is ignoring him,  feeling alone and
abandoned, and then often ends a piece rather abruptly with a few simple
statements of hope. Praying grandiose prayers isn't as important as simply
telling the truth.

and again, this quote...

"I still wrestle with how best to express my faith and whether it should fit in
to the creative process on a conscious level. I feel like I have a lot to learn.
I'm very much a student and I don't think of myself as a teacher. But by being a
student, maybe I occasionally show others how to explore, go deeper. My
songwriting is an expression of my journey, my search for truth, and a reflection
of my world view, which usually operates mostly on a subconscious level. It's not
something that I constantly brandish about or announce, it's  naturally a part of
me."

and one more time, this one from Karin...

"I started over with nothing and said, "Okay, this is it, and you are all have.
Let's start here. All I need is everything." That was the beginning of a
reworking in me and a good chapter in my life filled with grace and blessing. I
never realized the significance of words like 'grace' and 'blessing' before I had
a lot taken away from me."

Yeah, i know that there isn't a direct quote in there from Karin or Linford
stating that OtR is a Christian band, but i think those qotes (coming from the
two bandmembers that do all the songwriting...) are a pretty clear indication of
where they are coming from. Don't get me wrong,  I don't think OtR has an agenda
as a band, or anything like that... i just think that their faith and their
outlook on life can't help but make its way into their songs.

anyway, these quotes were taken from an interview with Linford and Karin in
Cornerstone magazine. if you feel compelled to read the rest of the interview, i
have it on my website:

http://www.kconline.com/eschumacher/OtR/interview.html

good day to all,
eric.
--

**  quiet music should be played loud  **

http://www.kconline.com/eschumacher/OtR/

Follow-Ups: References: