Re: Differences Two

"Joshua M. Neds-Fox" <jnedsfox at moody_edu> waited lifetimes, said this
to you:
>Alright.

All right?   ;-)

>I checked out a website to see a friend's interview with Michael Roe
>(sorry, don't remember the name of the site) and came across a feature on
>Ric and his new band.  Ric seemed to be saying that he wasn't comfortable
>with being defined as Christian, that he wasn't sure that the term was
>absolute or even what it meant, and that he identified with Buddhism and
>eastern religion more, himself.

I read that interview too.   It used to be linked from The Web Page
Formerly Known As The Imaginary Apple Orchard.   AFAIR, Ric did
mention that he didn't want to be pigeonholed in any certain niche,
such as being labeled a "christian musician."   He felt that would
limit opportunities and distort perception, and I agree.  I am fully
against the categorization of music.  I also seem to remember him
saying that if he called himself "christian", that might not mean the
same thing to him as it would mean to the interviewer, or the reader.

>I haven't heard his music since leaving
>the band, or any side project recordings, so I have no idea.

Has nothing to do with religion, so far as I can tell.   (Does 'Womb
Of God count, anyone....anyone?)    The two Monk CDs are phenomenal
albums.   _Quiver_ is about 90% Ric-penned pop/rock numbers with Ric
vocals, and the rest of it is instrumentals.  _Quiver_ mostly displays
the Ric that wrote 'Circle Of Quiet', and less of the one who would
tear up 'Daddy Untwisted' in concert.  _Hush_ is an entirely
instrumental album - full of wonderful Eno-esque ambience.   'Coal
Train' and 'A Little Lower Than The Angels' from DNOTY are examples of
his early experiments in this direction.

>But I know Linford and Karen raise up Christ in their music-- it seems Ric got tired
>of being tied to that.

LOL!   Ric got tired of Linford & Karin writing an album without
involving the rest of the band.

You *know* L & K raise up Christ in their music?   Oops,
nevermind...I'm not going there - I just saw your domain.  ;-)

>(oops-- I just looked back over my message: let me correct myself and say
>that Ric wasn't comfortable with being defined as a Christian MUSICIAN.
>This is all being dredged from memory, so I'm probably misquoting horribly.
>I hope some of you find the website and judge for yourselves.  --JNF)

Well, the only link I knew of to that article was taken down along
with the rest of Don Smith's site, so no luck there.   If anyone spots
it, please share with the rest of the class.   I'll share my cookies
with you after naptime this afternoon if you do.   ;-)

--NP: Frank Zappa - _Hot Rats_
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
"When I want your opinion you won't be able to sit down for a week."
	- Nenslo in alt.slack

Follow-Ups: References: