w.w.o.t.r.d.

(what would otr do?)
(or better phrased, what *should* otr do?)
(or even better, what would you do if you were otr?)
(but there aren't little bracelets with those letters on them...  i hope
that's not just a southern thing--then no one will know what i am talking
about...)

ANYWAY... here is my question... otr is going to open for cowboy junkies,
right?  what songs should they (in your opinion) play?

i have been thinking about this one.  at some level, i think they should play
all of their new stuff because it's good and because it's, well, new.  but
most of the people at these shows will have never heard otr, so it won't
matter if they play something from patience that we have heard a million
times.  on the other hand, they want people to buy their music, right?  so in
that case will they have to keep playing stuff from gdbd and besides since the
others are hard to get?
let's say otr plays the new songs, orphan girl, and little blue river, and
someone goes after the show to buy a cd because she likes the music, and todd
says, "well, none of those are available to purchase, but i can sell you this
nice poster and a christmas cd..."  how much would that suck?  so should otr
play the ever-faithful good dog bad dog stuff mixed in with some new and some
old?  should they focus on the new and mix in some gdbd and besides?

what songs specifically should otr play to get someone hooked?  come on now,
they just *aren't* going to play daddy untwisted, so we can get over that.
but what else?  you all know that my favorite song is everyman's daughter, but
i don't know that they should play that one if the goal is to hook people.
but is that the goal?  should they just present their music, having done it
this long with no big commercial success (label-wise, i mean) and say "here we
are--we're over the rhine.  we're from ohio.  here is our music."  the take-
it-or-leave-it attitude, while respectable, probably won't sell a lot of
records.  then again, they've never been into marketing that heavily and we're
all here...
what do you think?
jan