Tonya Donelly and King Crimson (was Re: Out Of Print CDs (no OtR))

Dancing on a volcano, scott ulrich <ulrichsd at miavx1_acs.muohio.edu>
said:
>Great album, I really like Tonya Donnely's stuff. Do you have her CD or
>Belly's other, Star? I really like them all, when I'm in the mood for it.
>I think King might be my favorite, but I'm not sure... I'm interested to
>hear what other people think.

I have _Star_, and her newest solo release _Long Songs For Underdogs_.
_King_ is what first hooked me, and made me a Tonya Donnely fan.   I
like _Star_, but I think it's a little weaker from a musical
standpoint than _King_.   If you like _King_, then *definitely* get
LSFU.   I think Jessyka will agree.  ;-)

>Also, I think you finally convinced me to try a listen to King Crimson...
>your incessant hype of this band is starting to catch up with me :^)

YAY!    ;-)

>I heard a song or 2 from one of their albums (can't remember
>which) and I really liked it... I was curious what CD you'd reccomend for
>someone buying their first King Crimson album? I figure you're an EVE fan
>so that puts us in the same boat music-wise. I think my favorite might
>actually be Till We Have Faces (first Cd I had by them), but it is a VERY
>close race between it and Eve.

Well...you're also a pretty big Ric & Monk fan, right?   In that case,
I'd point you towards _Discipline_, EG Records 1981.   That's the
record that first hooked me, FWIW.   The sheer genius in the writing
and arranging of that album will blow you away.   7 songs, 4 with
vocals, and one with a strange spoken word voice over.   This is also
the first album with Adrian Belew on guitar and vocals, and Tony Levin
on stick and bass.

If you would like, I could burn you a CD with various songs from the
different eras of KC from 1969 - last year, to give you a taste of
each phase.  Each configuration of KC is pretty different from all the
others.  I like them all, but they appeal in different ways.

In a nutshell:
'69-70: Greg Lake era
72-78: John Wetton era
81-87: 'Discipline' era
94-98: double trio era

>Thanks in advance for the help,
>scott

Well...you should know how much I *hate* giving people my opinions on
music!  ;-)

--NP: Joni Mitchell - _Don Juan's Reckless Daughter_
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
"We love cones."
--Jeff Myers, during a conversation on cones

Follow-Ups: References: