Re: Wade Jaynes

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Chris Emery wrote:

> I don't want a bassist who's going to do nothing more than play a
> tonic, one-note-per-beat-*on* the-beat bass part.   If I want that,
> I'd be on a Foriegner mailing list.  ;-)
>
> I'm not knocking Wade.  I'm familiar with his work, and I like much of
> it, but nothing I've heard in his recorded output makes me think he'll
> be better than Mike in OTR.

I hadn't the slightest intention of starting a debate over favorite
bassists.  However, I will maintain that Wade Jaynes' temporary addition
to OTR is a good thing.  A VERY GOOD thing.  Have you listened to his
recorded output all that closely?  Have you gotten inside the songs well
enough to listen past everything except his tracks?  If you have you'll
find that he has no need to play fretless bass.  His playing is sweeping
in its melodic span, yet he doesn't miss the proverbial beat.

> >He's one of a very few bass players who concentrate
> >solely on how the song would best be served.
>
> Care to elaborate on that?

Gladly.  His playing doesn't strike people at first listen with its
complexity.  His playing doesn't stand out at first listen at all, which
is part of the genius of it.  Jerry Scheff is another guy who pulls this
off well (check out most any record produced by T Bone Burnett).

> >His first few live shows
> >will be rough, but in a few weeks he'll be a perfect fit, musically.
>
> I always reserve final judgement.  ;-)  After all...Jack has improved,
> hasn't he?

Thank God we've got your judgment.  How would we have found Over the Rhine
without you?  Of course, we won't let you spellcheck the written decision.
the written decision.

...ramble and bramble removed...

> Linford's songs now?   Has it become Linford with special guests Over
> The Rhine?

This question was answered by another listee.  I'm not going to say I'm
afraid so, because I think it's a good thing.  The more calls Linford
makes, the more I come to like him.  He should be a producer.

> >Brian has always listened to the songs and
> >been nothing short of perfect in giving the music what it needed.
>
> Could be that OTR hasn't had any other drummers, and he is definitive
> in (at least) the percussive/rhythm side of OTR?

No.  It doesn't matter where Brian plays.  The live shows with Monk, live
shows and studio work with David Wilcox...between all the different styles
of songs, Brian adapted his own sound to serve the song.  It has nothing
to do with OTR. Brian is just a great drummer.

> > >Ric never listened,

Ever watch the glares Karen or Linford would throw his way in concert when
the rest of the band was playing soft and Ric was still cranked at full
volume?  I took the extreme route in saying he never listened, but Ric
always appeared to me to be more interested in what he was playing than
what the band got across as a whole.

> More than dropping names, son....gotta know what they mean.  ;-)
> Besides...ask anyone on the list.  There's nothing I like better than
> a good comparison debate.

Thanks, dad.  It's great to have an old fart around to remind us of the
good old days.  I also want to thank you for being so disturbed by my
post.  This has been fun.

Follow-Ups: References: