Re: Wade Jaynes

After responding in an overly defensive manner, Jason Andrew Newby
<Jason.A.Newby at wheaton_edu> said:
>I hadn't the slightest intention of starting a debate over favorite
>bassists.

Why not?  Therein lies the fun.

>However, I will maintain that Wade Jaynes' temporary addition
>to OTR is a good thing.  A VERY GOOD thing.  Have you listened to his
>recorded output all that closely?

Yes, but not in the last 6 months.   I listen again and report back.
*salutes*

>Gladly.  His playing doesn't strike people at first listen with its
>complexity.  His playing doesn't stand out at first listen at all, which
>is part of the genius of it.  Jerry Scheff is another guy who pulls this
>off well (check out most any record produced by T Bone Burnett).

Ever wondered how someone gets a nickname like "T Bone"?  Things like
that keep me up at night sometime.

>> I always reserve final judgement.  ;-)  After all...Jack has improved,
>> hasn't he?
>
>Thank God we've got your judgment.

Ganesha is the Diety Of The Week (c).   All thanks up through next
Tuesday should be directed to him (it?).

>How would we have found Over the Rhine
>without you?  Of course, we won't let you spellcheck the written decision.
>the written decision.

*raises eyebrow*  Did you miss the ;-)  in my statement above?
Whatever you're sitting on, hop off it, and relax a little.  This is a
laid back kinda place, right Melissa?  ;-)

>> Linford's songs now?   Has it become Linford with special guests Over
>> The Rhine?

>This question was answered by another listee.  I'm not going to say I'm
>afraid so, because I think it's a good thing.  The more calls Linford
>makes, the more I come to like him.  He should be a producer.

At the expense of musical diversity, as evidenced in GDBD.  Looks like
Jack might be exerting a little influence in that direction, Ganesha
willing.   Sounds to my ears that 'Moth' and 'Anyway' are a good step
in that direction.

I think Ric is a better producer than Linford would be.

>No.  It doesn't matter where Brian plays.  The live shows with Monk, live
>shows and studio work with David Wilcox...between all the different styles
>of songs, Brian adapted his own sound to serve the song.  It has nothing
>to do with OTR. Brian is just a great drummer.

This is not a point I was disputing.   Apparently, you've
misunderstood my position here as resident devil's advocate.  ;-)

I've got 'June' cranked right now.   Brian is playing a laid-back, yet
intricate beat that is perfect for the song, especially the way it
interacts with the bass.

>Ever watch the glares Karen or Linford would throw his way in concert when
>the rest of the band was playing soft and Ric was still cranked at full
>volume?  I took the extreme route in saying he never listened, but Ric
>always appeared to me to be more interested in what he was playing than
>what the band got across as a whole.

Nope.  If that happened, it was during the late 95-on period when I
was temporarily out of the loop.   I can still see in my head, clear
as yesterday, a scene from my first OTR show, _Eve_ tour, circa '94.
Linford wearing his bow tie, jacket and funny hat, just playing a
groove with his head back and his eyes closed while Ric was wailing
off in some other guitar world.  Karin was smiling, head down, swaying
to the music.

>> More than dropping names, son....gotta know what they mean.  ;-)
>> Besides...ask anyone on the list.  There's nothing I like better than
>> a good comparison debate.
>
>Thanks, dad.  It's great to have an old fart around to remind us of the
>good old days.  I also want to thank you for being so disturbed by my
>post.  This has been fun.

ROTFL.  How long you been reading the list?  If you've read for more
than a week, you'd know I wasn't disturbed for a second.  Stick
around...read the archives, and have fun.

Why am I still at work?

--NP: Over The Rhine - _Eve_
ICQ #: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery

Follow-Ups: References: