Re: What's up with all of the politicking?

Er...so tell me, Eric, do you frequently use your first posts to lecture
large groups of people on what they should or shouldn't discuss?

If you want no more than news about OtR, there's an announce-only list
for that. This list has, for years, been the basis for many friendships,
relationships, and even a wedding or two. I've gained many valuable,
amazing friends here, and that doesn't happen when you restrict
conversations to playlists and tape trades. What a sterile, boring place
this would be were that the case. We don't always talk about the band, or
the music, or what Karin wore last night. Most of us are pretty cool
people with enormously varied interests, viewpoints, and experiences. I
don't know about anyone else, but I don't hang around on this list
despite the off-topic posts-- I'm here because of them.

And to be honest, I've been quite happy about the recent discussions. Not
only has the list been very quiet lately, I'm immensely cheered to see
I'm  not the only Liberal hereabouts. Eight years ago, that wasn't the
case. I'm quite well-chuffed. Though I think I'm going to send Dan some
brownies or something.

(Holy COW! EIGHT YEARS?? Wow. Doesn't seem that long.)

And one last note:

You wrote:
Something else for the group to ponder on:  Am I the only person who
didn't know that Linford is working on a solo project?  Let's talk about
this for a while.

Then you quoted:
2)  When you want to introduce a new topic for discussion it's a good
idea
to "prime the pump" with some discussion of your own, rather than just
sending a message saying "Lets talk about xxxxxxx."

Hm.

And we do all get that email when we sign up. Honest.