Re: semantics again

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Temmesfeld, Daniel wrote:

> Anite replied to me:
> >> In defense of oneself or a loved one, a gun would be viable option.
> >
> > Would it? ...snip...
> >
> > Even if he was a stranger to the woman, who can be sure what his
> > intentions were?  Suppose he were simply drunk and in the wrong house?
> > It's happened, and it's not a mistake one deserves to die for.
>
> I in no way implied that "defense" equals "kill."  You can use a gun to
> defend yourself without killing someone.  I'm on your side, agreed on
> all points.

yes, but keeping in mind - the trunk of a person presents a *far* larger
target than any other part of the body. and if in desire to defend and
merely wound, in a state of panic or high tension or fear, aim goes out
the window (somewhat) and so in aiming for the largest thing a couple of
things could happen (both assume you hit the person)

1. you'd aim for the 'x' and miss, hitting a shoudler. great! the cops can
take care of him.
2. you aim wildy and make the X. dead bad guy.

now, to assume that the normal person who owns agun is a callous person
who cares not about the person at whom they are shooting. it's intended
that you shoot to hit, maim or kill. all the while shouting, stop - don't
move. etc.

the classes i have taken came from a good cop. and it stretched my nerves
to take those classes. have a handgun? maybe. have a shotgun when we live
in the woods? yes.

> Additionally, I want to make it clear that my original post stated that
> the use of a gun would not be the *BEST* option.

right.

i agree. for the fact that bullets have a nasty habit of ending up where
they are not intended to be.

dave's got a giant flashlight.

he'd like to protect me. i don't quite understand all of it, but it's some
sort of guy thing i think ( no offense), to want to protect the woman.
which is fine, i like that. but i'm also capable of: dialing 911, running
like heck. kneeing, scratching biting hitting and basically bashing the
snot out of the guys' nose who happens to grab me.

i'd like to learn more.  carry a gun? maybe not. not for myself. dave's a
pacifist (did i mention that?), and he wants to have a gun to use.

i, and not a pacifist, and don't htink i could stand the fear of yelling
and screaming and trying to get said person to stop (or just presenting a
witness that i triwed other things before firing).

given my marksmanship, maybe that's the big factor of nervousness. without
trying. i don't go outside that small hole in the paper. i'd hurt someone.
i'm not sure i could. but i could have an attack dog. i'm wierd i know.

this whol gun thing is like a toy we all forget about, until someone
reminds us of it. we fetch it out fo the closet, dust it off, argue about
who's isbetter. we all have reasons for, against and about guns.

but it comes down to what's in the bill of rights. the right to bear arms
is there to protect the country from what it had experienced in the past.
a lot of people felt (and still feel) that in order to have a free state,
that armament of whatever type (mainly guns and fighitng implements)
should not be restricted to law keeping forces.

and a lot of other histoircal mumbo jumbo that i'm sure you all know. so i
won't bore you.

i'm glad i grew up around guns.

rhys

--
Travel is a tonic for the soul. Siren Song