Re: The Right to Bear Wood

no big argument here just another story.
Well, maybe a 'little' argument.

Back in high school one of my classmates was shot in the back and killed while running away from a crime. The crime: stealing a battery out of a car from what ended up being a retired cops residence. The cop was the one who shot him. The punishment: a slap on the wrist. I don't remember the case details on why that's all he got -- something about him still being on the cops property -- but he was unarmed and shot in the back for heaven's sake.
The lack of punishment is another thing altogether anyway, what I saw was the total irresponsibility and disregard of human life from someone most people would think would know better.
I guess if there was an argument from this for me, it'd be that no matter how well trained a person is on the use of a gun or how responsible we think they are it all boils down to the moral culpability of the one using it, especially how they may act in the heat of the moment.
I'd be all for everyone having easy access to whatever kind of gun their little heart desired if the human race had a better track record of wielding power in a moral and responsible way.
I wouldn't say outlaw them completely, as I wouldn't say outlaw gas ovens, jet propulsion technology or the internet because of the evils they've been put to, but it seems to me that sometimes in our efforts to protect gun access for all, we start to idealize and romanticize and forget to stop and take into account just how dark the human soul can become at times. And 'less anyone here gets 'up in arms' I'm just talking in general, not about any comments made on the list.
Don't have any concrete idea's, I just think we need to 'always' take the human element into account well before we pass or don't pass laws, not just on guns, but on anything that has a capability of being used wrongly. That's all. I know quite a few will think this observation is obvious -- it should be -- but apparently those making laws aren't always very observant!

Kevin