The Right to Bear Wood

Web TV Pseudonym wrote:
 > A few months ago, I humourously suggested that people
 > who adamantly opposed the arming of our citizenry
 > celebrate their lifestyle choice by decorating their
 > door with a sign reading, "This Is A Gun Free Home."

1) It wasn't funny the first time.  See #3.

2) The assumption that someone who doesn't want a gun in
   their home is "adamantly opposed" to the 2nd Amendment
   is a bad assumption.  I won't ever own a gun.  I don't
   begrudge others.  It's their right.

   It's my right, too; but a "right" doesn't equate to a
   "must."

3) It's stupid to publicize that fact (a Gun Free Home).
   There are too many that might take advantage.

 > Don Smith faces this hypothetical intruder head on,
 > and has made the choice to face him unarmed.

Yet again, a bad assumption.  I can't speak for Don, but
to say that having no gun around makes one unarmed, is
forgetting the viable defense of a 32" Louisville slugger
to the knees.  I have two baseball bats at easy grasp in
my house.  I doubt it'll ever come to using them in such
a horrific situation, but if it came down to it... I'd
prefer to defend myself, my wife, and my "home" with a bat.

 >> No amount of material stuff is worth that high a price.
 >
 > Recently, a woman in my city awoke to find a man coming
 > toward her bed.  In a few seconds, she became his judge,
 > jury, and executioner, out of a fear that he desired to
 > kidnap, beat, rape, torture, and/or murder her...

Your reply to Don was specifically about a "non material"
situation; so it's not really a good rebuttal.  In defense
of oneself or a loved one, a gun would be viable option.

I'd still wager that it's definitely not the *BEST* option.

Shooting someone over stealing your TV or DVD collection
is asinine.  I agree with Don... "No amount of material
stuff is worth that high a price."

a "right" doesn't equate to a "must,"
Dan

np: coheed & cambria - in keeping secrets of silent earth:3