Re: Armed (Painfully Off Topic, no oTr)

True, guns can serve some good, as in the incedent
described by Trudes, but let me share with you all why
gun control is so important to me. One of my earliest
memories is of a sweet old couple who lived on the
corner (two houses down from me). One night, a robber
broke into their house, and shot the old man with his
own gun.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that while there are
a few times when a gun in the equation means the
victim will avoid harm, there are also times when a
gun in the equation can actually add to the harm.
True, the robber of this man was probably stronger
than the old man, but I wonder if that old man would
not have died that night if he didn't own a gun.

Mind you, this is, in fact one of my earliest
memories, and thus it has shaped me ever since. I am
mainly posting this to give an opposing veiw, not to
be preachy.
--- So Briquet <Sobriqet@webtv.net> wrote:
> This is difficult for several reasons, since it's
> off topic, and the
> esteemed former caretaker of the online Imaginary
> Apple Orchard, Don
> Smith deserves so much respect from all
> Rhinelanders.
>
> Don Smith wrote:
> "What is "safe"? In this discussion, "safe" seems to
> mean that stuff
> won't get stolen....I'm not sure the death penalty
> is really merited for
> tresspass and theft. And it totally sidesteps the
> questions of mistaken
> identity and accident."
>
> A few months ago, I humourously suggested that
> people who adamantly
> opposed the arming of our citizenry celebrate their
> lifestyle choice by
> decorating their door with a sign reading, "This Is
> A Gun Free Home."
> which, is supposed to make one consider the
> increased risk of a "hot
> burglary," where an intruder decides that breaking
> and entering is worth
> the risk of encountering rather hostile witnesses.
>
> Don Smith faces this hypothetical intruder head on,
> and has made the
> choice to face him unarmed.
>
> "Even if the line of argument is true, I'm not
> convinced that this is a
> good deal: the cost is too high...No amount of
> material stuff is worth
> that high a price."
>
> Recently, a woman in my city awoke to find a man
> coming toward her bed.
> In a few seconds, she became his judge, jury, and
> executioner, out of a
> fear that he desired to kidnap, beat, rape, torture,
> and/or murder her.
> I assume that he was bigger, stronger, and much more
> awake and mentally
> focused, so that nothing she could have done, short
> of being armed, and
> firing rounds into him, would have prevented his
> goals from being
> realized.
>
> "I think there's an innocence about the midwest that
> walks hand in hand
> with a kind of mental illness..." Linford Detweiler
> 1993

=====
Century follows century, and things happen only in the present.
-Jorge Luis Borges, "The Garden of forking Paths"