Re: [OTR] [OTR] don't open attachments, just delete (Re: hello)

> ...but I did get two messages at my office address last night that
> indicate that someone ELSE blocked an attachment *I* sent (that I never
> *actually* sent in reality) ... which is also apparently a common side
> effect of a virus that isn't even on my machine (don't ask... I don't
> completely understand)... so yeah, there are weird things afoot.

The deal with such occurances is simple:

The current rapidly spreading virus forges the "from" email address when
it sends itself out (usually to everyone in the infected computer's
Outlook address book or the like). This is a common occurance with viruses
(virii?). Unfortunately, many companies have virus scanning software which
is not so smart, and automatically replies to any virus-carrying email
with a message saying your computer must be infected. Really, though, all
it means is that there's a strong chance that someone you happen to know
caught it.

But yeah, there's a really fast-spreading virus out there, that just got
started a day or two ago. Don't open any attachments that you weren't
expecting to receive -- even if the email claims to be from someone you
know. Or at least, don't open any attachments that aren't, say, images.
And be careful: I got one this morning that was named something along the
lines of:
"test.htm                                                    .pif"

(Note the ".pif" alllll the way at the end there.)

Extensions to look out for: .exe, .scr, .pif, .csr, .zip (well, usually
the zip itself is okay, but unzips to an .exe or the like), and probably
others.

This has been a public service announcement.

:)

-- Rachel