2003x10 (Johnny Come Lately)

Ok, I just got my computer back from being repaired, so here’s my contribution to these lists . . . (and I actually cut/paste this from my discussion board, so that’s why there are the little editorials)

I'm not very good at top 5 lists . . . i might be able to compress this into a top 10, but no promises

11. The Polyphonic Spree - Beginning Stages of . . . It's a 24 member hippy choir/orchestra from the mind that brought you Tripping Daisy.  If this music doesn't make you happy, you need therapy.

10. Spiritualized - Amazing Grace .  "We take drugs to make music to take drugs to."  Incredible noise.

9.  Rooney .  The Beach Boys are back, and better than ever.

8.  Jet - Get Born .  Music that is fun.  You'd swear that you're listening to old Rolling Stones, and that's a good thing.

7.  The Fire Theft .  The latest from Jeremy Enigk and co (Sunny Day Real Estate).  It's kind of like the difference between Smashing Pumpkins and Zwan.  Essentially the same band, just happier.

6.  Nelly Furtado - Folklore .  (and not just because she's from Vancouver).  I bought this for Bren, but it's really good.  Very musically diverse, and she writes her own stuff.

5.  Placebo - Sleeping With Ghosts .  Angry Goth pop a la The Cure.  Not as good as Without You I'm Nothing, but better than most this year.

4.  BRMC - Take Them On Their Own .  Critics blast them for being a Jesus and Mary Chain rip-off, but there could be worse things.

3.  David Crowder Band - Illuminate .  I've always said that i want a worship band that sounds like the offspring of Incubus and The Anniversary, and they almost make it.  First worship CD of any consequence (that i know of) since Mars Hill Worship to bust out the turntables.

2.  Radiohead - Hail To The Thief .  It's Radiohead; what more do you need?

1.  Over the Rhine - Ohio .  No one who knows me is surprised.  but, they earned this spot.  Ohio is not one, but two discs of sheer grace and beauty.

Honorable Mentions (They'd make my list if i had the dollars to pick them up; you can read this as a wish list):

Johnny Cash - Unearthed

Travis - 12 Memories

Dandy Warhols - Welcome To The Monkey House

Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress

Grandaddy - Sumday

Kings of Leon - Youth & Young Manhood

Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Manager

The Strokes - Room on Fire

The Bens - The Bens EP (Ben Folds, Ben Kweller (from Radish), and Ben Lee (Noise Addict)

Rufus Wainwright - Want One

That's all for now.