Re: Of Guitar Gods and Men...

Dave wrote:

Ravi Shanker's daughter who plays an unbelievable sitar.

I didn't know whether to post:

a) I don't believe it.

or

b) What's so unbelievable about her sitar?

;)

I liked all of OTR's guitarists; Ric (who I've seen with them most, probably in the 60+ times range), Jack, Linford, Karin, Paul, Matt. They all add a different feel to it, and the non-sameness appeals to my hatred of convention gene.

It doesn't seem all that fair to gauge Matt's performance from this past tour; you had K+L, then Rick Plant on bass, who'd toured with them the past four months.. And the awesome Devon Ashley who had recorded with them for Ohio.. And then Matt, who'd likely had very little time to rehearse with them since the fall tour ended short and this lineup was conjured together. They should have let someone with better style sense (Karin?) dress him for the Taft show though - he looked frumpy. And that's coming from me, King of Frump.

I didn't get much of a "attitude" vibe from Paul during the shows. It seemed he had a genuine love for the music, and knew the tools to get the most from his instruments, without being overtly flashy. After the quiet of Ohio, he was a perfect shot in the arm that helped elevate the live shows this past Fall to the awe inspiring levels they achieved. The cigarette thing cracks me up a little - you can't nickname someone "Smokey" and expect him NOT to smoke! hehe.

And though I'd only seen him a handful of times, he gave the most consistent level of performance by any OTR guitarist I'd seen. When Ric was in a bad mood, he was in a BAD mood. And Jack's style was awesome typically, but there were some lows there too.

The blind lead the blind,
Yeah,