RE: Christian Rock

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Lawlor, Barry wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 Otrcincyfan@aol.com wrote:
> > I had a friend tell me OTR is, "too Christian for the mainstream and
> > too mainstream for Christians." It makes some sense.
>
> And I hope they never become a "Christian" band, take a look at what those
> Christian CCM artists have the gall to do:
> http://www.corruptchristianmusic.com/home/index.html

Wow, we Christians certainly are remarkably good about judging one
another.

Seriously, it's sad to see that.  Some of the stuff that's up there
probably has a valid point or two, but they are missing so much more of a
problem here.  I look at that, and I see false assumptions that are based
off of marketing.

To wit, artist (a) is Christian.  artist (b) is not a Christian.  artist
(a), because of their Christian appellation, should fit into a particular
mold that artist (b) does not fits into because Christian Listener (c) has
this conception of what 'Christian' means to them.  And because there are
so many different ways to handle one's relationship with Jesus in small
communities of believers (friends, small groups, churches, denomination),
Listener (c) feels that his way is best and the right,proper way to
approach belief, and so if (a) looks like (b), must be doing something
wrong.

And an awful lot of those perceptions are fed by outside forces,
oftentimes from men in cheap suits who are trying to sell us some
sanctified snake-oil.

Feh.  People are dumb.  And so am I.

-Drew J

Drew Johnson - djohnson@snowplow.org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, SCA   ^ ^
"You rock my small, self-centered world." -Diablo, goats.com       (_|_)
          http://www.livejournal.com/~monkeydance