northernlights

I saw them. It was awe-inspiring. I've never seen anything like it. I am at a complete loss to tell you what it was like. Anna (my wife) and I drove out to the fairgrounds and froze our little toes while watching them. We live in the small coastal town of Haines, Alaska, so we didn't have a lot of man-made light to fight with.

Where we saw them it was mostly green. And bright green too, they danced and played, and streaked across the entire sky. Most of the concentration was (duh) to the north (and to the east). It was as if someone shined bright green lights into a foggy sky and angles danced around making silhouettes. It was also as if God grabbed a paintbrush and went to town.

Ours looked mostly like this, just not quite the sam formations - but the color is kinda close.
http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/aurora/images2003/17oct03/Haug1.jpg

brian