from Karin

Karin asked that I pass on this inside info re. the recent question about
Ohio's lyrics.  Enjoy!

"...here's the scoop on 'Ohio'.  'Joni' is Joni Mitchell - we were listening
to her (among others) as we were cruising these back roads, and the resevoir
was just as good as any of the other hangouts...ie. rubber tree, egypt
bottom - all  remote places where we would congregate. I elude to Joni in
that
passage of the song with a chord pattern I play as well. I also refer to a
Bob Dylan lyric in the last verse of the song. Holly, Mary and Valerie are
all old friends. There names have not been changed to protect their
anonimity(oops!). I didn't reveal anything too damning. There was this huge,
abandonned orphanage at the end of town which we would break into from time
to time. It was kind of spooky and cool. I think it has since been razed.
We four girls would often cruise, listen to music, and Valerie
would sing.  Those memories have stayed with me, obviously."

:)

Ever,
Ana Maria

P.S. I'm sitting in my new apartment right now.  I walked for miles
yesterday...

Trudy wrote:

I have ,like you all, been listening a lot to OHIO.
I have a question about the lyrics from the song 'Ohio'.
In this stanza:

When the sun went down we would all leave town
And light our fires in Egypt Bottom
And the reservoir was just as good for Joni
'Cause we knew we would
Dream outloud in the night air

Holly said, Don't go inside the children's home
Mary said, Don't leave your man alone
Valerie was singin' to the radio
Ohio

Does anyone know what Karin means by the reservoir being just as good
for Joni.....etc
And not going inside the children's home etc...?
I might assume these girls were Karin's friends growing up....I just
can't figure out the meaning...
Anyone have inside information or thoughts about this?

Trudes

There is a crack in everything.  That's how the light gets in.
~ Leonard Cohen