Re: Thinking of the back roads...

--- Trudy <ortrudes at mindspring_com> wrote:

> Are you a smalltown person, country bumpkin, city slicker?
>
> If you live in a city/rural area now.is this where you were
> raised?  Is it your first choice to live where you live now?

i'd best fit in as a smalltown person i think.  growing up the
island way involved a lot of beach camping on weekends.  i had
my mongoose bmx bike and dollhouses, birthday parties and
sleepovers and of course great local music and food.  hugely
casual place to grow up.  growing up, life here never felt
rushed or hurried.  it does now though.

there's no real 'city' feel to Maui, but it does feel busy.  we
have a crapload of transplants, the traffic is ridiculous (for
maui standards) and driver's suck more than they've ever sucked
before.  that's why i choose to live upcountry.  it's mostly
sloped, large properties, a lot of farmers - a real
country/homey feel to it.  not too mention lack of streetlights,
lack of traffic and lack of 'people' noise, if that makes sense.
 i'm like you trudy, i like my quiet, i like my calm and i love
my views.  plus at my elevation the temperatures are awesome.
it's never too hot in the summer and it gets as low as 38
degrees in the winter.  also perfect for the music of Over the
Rhine.  they fit right in if you ask me.

so, i guess now i'd be a coutry bumpkin that grew up in the
small town way, that drives through the not big but not small
town to get to work in the town that's not as big as the not big
but not small town, but still not a small town (anymore) - which
is a daily reminder that it's all about being a country bumpkin.
 *whew* did you get all that?  :)

michelle

=====
"Even if I did succeed in giving a little something beautiful back to the world, of what possible use could it be?  Is there room in the world for one more beautiful thing?  Or wait: does all this nonchalant loveliness cry, Glory, glory, glory?  Does the world cry out, Let there be music?  Am I caught up in something?"                -- Linford Detweiler, Unsung