Re: Cruel & Pretty

> Kylie queried:
> >Ana Maria or Michelle... do you have any other thoughts about
> the song??

it takes me on the same visual ride every time i hear it.  i see
him waking up knowing he's dying, but he tries to speak cause if
he can speak, maybe he really isn't dying, maybe it's just a
dream..?

when she sings "he spoke and found that he was flying" it just
drops me into that strange feeling your body has when you're
dreaming and not in such a deep sleep that when talk you hear
yourself and it kinda jars your 'not really awake' self -
there's a really cool/strange/off-ness/floaty physical feeling
your body gets (well, i get it at least).  it does happen much,
but the first time i heard Cruel & Pretty, that line took me
right there.

the rest is just a beautiful trip through the sky of lights and
the view of things from above on his way to that tunnel of light
we all hear about.

Electric lines and wispy jet contrails
Ships at sea and B&O train rails
A tunnel of light like the Seven Eleven

it's just loaded w/ that, i don't know, fear? anger? sadness?
confusion? of not being in control of having *to go*.  yet
*going* is so pretty and amazing...  as much as i don't want to
kiss you goodbye, just meet me in the backstreets of heaven..
i'll be there, waiting for you.  and that is why i love "hello,
hello, hello, how the time flies".

typing this has gotten me a wee bit worked up in a big ol' wussy
way, so i hope that answers your question, kylie. :)

ana maria commented:

> I love how the album is so full of brokenness and death, but
> with the
> glimmers of light and redemption that come as a result...
> It's like they
> explore nearly every possible tenor of grief (even lilting
> sadness as in this song).

yes.

> My friend Sarah calls it a "hopeful sadness" rather than a
> hopeless sadness...

i like that.

> There will be a time when simple things take
> on an unbearable poignancy...and when slow, sad things become
> easier to hear.

yes.

affected, dreamy, effusive,
michelle

> P.S. I got my confirmation email today!!

me too!

kylie:  i got your email questioning this song right before
leaving work yesterday and i kept thinking "gawd, i'm gonna give
a stupid answer that says somthing like "great visuals in the
song, yeah, that's what else i think about it..".  i wound up
getting teary and saying it better than i thought i could.  and
say it good i did, cause that's what it means *to me*.

=====
"Even if I did succeed in giving a little something beautiful back to the world, of what possible use could it be?  Is there room in the world for one more beautiful thing?  Or wait: does all this nonchalant loveliness cry, Glory, glory, glory?  Does the world cry out, Let there be music?  Am I caught up in something?"                -- Linford Detweiler, Unsung