Re: Cruel & Pretty

Kylie queried:
>Ana Maria or Michelle... do you have any other thoughts about the song??

I confess I've only been able to hear it twice (Tues. night when my friend
brought hers over--mine hasn't arrived yet)...and I'd love to hear what
inspired him to write it.  But just off the top of my head, it reminds me of
magical realism and Garcia Marquez...transplanted to an America complete
with Seven Elevens.  ;)

And the singer/persona doesn't want to have to say goodbye...but there'll be
a "radiant reunion" soon...

"Electric lines and wispy jet contrails
Ships at sea and B&O train rails
A tunnel of light like the Seven Eleven
Meet me in the backstreets of heaven"

I love how the album is so full of brokenness and death, but with the
glimmers of light and redemption that come as a result...  It's like they
explore nearly every possible tenor of grief (even lilting sadness as in
this song).  My friend Sarah calls it a "hopeful sadness" rather than a
hopeless sadness...

In the exchange between Mark and Nathan re. the music being hard to listen
to, I confess that when I first heard Suitcase here at work as an MP3, I
wasn't prepared for the emotion and tears...but this music is timeless.  We
grow with it, and it with us.  There will be a time when simple things take
on an unbearable poignancy...and when slow, sad things become easier to
hear.  The progression of our responses is very individual.  (For example, I
know that one day I'll be able to listen to Bill Mallonee's Locket Full of
Moonlight all the way through without weeping hysterically... ;)

Carry me like a tune,
Ana Maria

P.S. I got my confirmation email today!!  Now if only it miraculously shows
up on my doorstep today in time for this weekend's road trip...