Re: Ohhhh, The Shame

I'm coming to grips with the likelihood that I am a bad fan. Don't get me
wrong; I own discs and discs, I'm a faithful Canal Street attendee, I
initiate the unenlightened. This morning I got my shipping confirmation from
Paste (why precisely did they list the little goodies on the invoice?) But I
haven't lost sleep over the new album, nor do I find myself racing to the WC
at the thought that it may arrive today. I found the latest-mentioned review
a little offensive for all its trumpeting and superlatives.

The reason I keep coming back to the group is that they're real. The music
is real. There's an urgency to the lyrics, a "This is what has to be said."
Sometimes a sadness in the admission, but grace, too. And the musicianship
is absolutely solid. It's what I hope to find in music; that others are
struggling to create some beauty with their light. That there's beauty still
to be found.

So I guess I'll have to accept my bad-fan-ness and enjoy the wait like I'll
enjoy listening as I roll through these city streets. Though I will be at
Joseph-Beth on Saturday, with no excuses at all.

Falling like leaves to the ground,

Nathan