Re: I Speak American

In a message dated 8/9/2003 9:05:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, edwardsaaron2000 at yahoo_com writes:

Actually, what we have is a regional dialect. And I
might argue, a lot of our dialect is based purely on
ignorance of the true meaning of a word, for instance,
what does thw word Diva really mean? No what does the
media tell us it means? Sorry, touchy subject. I hate
VH1 ande all thier croneys if for no other resaon,
giving us this perverted form of the word.

Perverted??  Just why is a media-created alternate meaning of a word any less valid than an alternate meaning that evolves in some other subculture?

Steve
oncleboo at aol_com

"Anyone who thinks he has a better idea of what's good for people than people do is a swine." -- P.J. O'Rourke