Re: third world connections (Re: I have no Halloween )

Rhys,

I'm sorry- I wasn't being clear. it's not that I think Paul's songs are
explicitly "American"; I just don't think they're explicitly "third-world"
either. I totally recognize African imagery in his work, I just don't
think imagery is all there is to a song's meaning. I think the songs
appeal to themes that span cultures in most ways, i.e. either and American
or an African could see dancing as a way out. Bruce's original comment was
that Elliott Smith's work was more "universal" than Paul's because Paul
dealt only (mostly) in third-world themes. I think Paul deals in universal
themes: love, ageing, redemption, faith, etc. Which is why we can both see
our own experiences in the songs.

I thought the bat-faced girl was just an ugly prostitute - this is what
the character in the song has come to: he's middle-aged, pudgy, and his
political leaders get caught with prostitutes - it's a song about bieng in
a midle-aged culture in way, I guess, which is what i think the
marketplace is for - as a contrast with a truly old culture. Could be
Europe, Africa, India or South America - anywhere with an old culture that
still has outdoor markets. The fact that the character "Sees angels in the
architecture" always made my think of somewhere like Venice or Florence.

>what did you picture when you listened to this stuff? it sounds like you
>pictured american western things

I pictured my context, certainly. But I think that's what makes the songs
good.
Like, say with 'Homeless" - the English lyrics:

Homeless
Homeless
Moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake

Are not explicitly African - moonlight sleeps on lakes over here too! ;) I
imagine a wandering person, walking through feilds, enjoying the freedom
of no commitment to a job. Like the hobos of the earlier part of the 20th
century. Or like a shepherd. Or like some guy wandering in Africa, sure.
Point is, my pictures are only as specific as the lyrics make them be, I
guess. Well, that and since I know the history of the album - Simon was
recovering from divorce, that probably colors my interpretation as well.

>my context is differen.t i don't esee many things as 'american' and 'not'
>and putting all the normal stuff i experienceunder that hat and calling it
>american

Me neither,really - like I said, I wasn't clear when I wrote my first
post.

- John

John Paul Davis
Center for Community Learning
Antioch College
http://www.antioch-college.edu/ccl

Ned Flanders: Let's just agree to disagree
Principal Skinner: I don't agree to that
Mrs. Krabapple: Me neither